Question about IBUs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pava

Reaction score
I am doing my second all grain today and I am using the Double IPA AG kit from Northern Brewer. I have all my numbers calculated using ProMash, but the weird thing is the IBUs seem off. Here is the hops schedule. . .

1 oz Summit (Alpha 16.7) - 60 Min
1 oz Centennial (Alpha 8.0) - 30 min
1 oz Cascade (Alpha 6.3) - 10 Min
2 oz Glacier ( Alpha 6.1) - 0 Min
1 oz Cascade (Alpha 6.3) - DH

ProMash calculates the total IBUs at 51.5. BJCP guidelines list the range for a Double IPA as 60 – 120, so according to ProMash this recipe does not even meet the minimum requirements, let alone get into the 80s, 90s, or above like most Double IPAs I have had. So is this a jacked up recipe from NB? Is ProMash calculating something wrong? or the more probable . ..Am I doing something wrong?

Either way, I am commited to making this brew tonight and have no LHBS close enough to go pick up more hops if needed, so really it doesn't matter, I would just like to know ahead of time if I am making a weaka$$ DIPA. Thanks for the help.

We'd need size and SG of the boil to help you out, but it seems like you're doing something wrong. I get ~60 IBU fron the first two additions alone, estimating a 7 gallon boil at 1.080.

The numbers can also vary a lot depending on what calculation method you use in ProMash (Tinseth, Rager, etc.)

It's probably fine.

I am doing my second all grain today and I am using the Double IPA AG kit from Northern Brewer. I have all my numbers calculated using ProMash, but the weird thing is the IBUs seem off. Here is the hops schedule. . .

1 oz Summit (Alpha 16.7) - 60 Min
1 oz Centennial (Alpha 8.0) - 30 min
1 oz Cascade (Alpha 6.3) - 10 Min
2 oz Glacier ( Alpha 6.1) - 0 Min
1 oz Cascade (Alpha 6.3) - DH

ProMash calculates the total IBUs at 51.5. BJCP guidelines list the range for a Double IPA as 60 – 120, so according to ProMash this recipe does not even meet the minimum requirements, let alone get into the 80s, 90s, or above like most Double IPAs I have had. So is this a jacked up recipe from NB? Is ProMash calculating something wrong? or the more probable . ..Am I doing something wrong?

Either way, I am commited to making this brew tonight and have no LHBS close enough to go pick up more hops if needed, so really it doesn't matter, I would just like to know ahead of time if I am making a weaka$$ DIPA. Thanks for the help.

Double check your recipe and what method you have selected in promash to calculate your IBUs....that schedule should yield 'round 80 IBUs. Try one of the online calculators to confirm if you're unsure.

Hey guys thanks for the quick responses. . .you guys nailed it. . .it was the way the IBUs were being calculated in ProMash. I had it set to use Garetz, I just switched it to Rager (Not sure if this is the best option or not) that pushed my IBUs up to almost 90!! Now that is what I was looking for. So I have Rager, Garetz, Tinseth, and Generic. Is Rager the one I should be using or is one of the other options better? Thanks again for the quick replies, I am feeling much better now after seeing those IBUs jump up into range!!!

The creater of BeerSmith said he thought Tinseth is better for full boils and Rager is better for partial boils. I can't comment myself as I don't know enough about each method, but I figure he should know.

Back