HAHAHAHAHHA Biggest Beer Explosion I've seen yet!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I'm making starters this morning before work so that they are ready for tomorrow...in short, I added my DME & Nutrients to the flasks while the water was boiling. Result: Violent Fountain of boiling wort to the ceiling!

My hands are burnt from the boiling stuff that spewed all over the kitchen, but boy was it worth seeing that! Hahahaha

You wouldn't be so chipper this morning if that Wort busted you in the eye.;) :D
Be careful man DME is too expensive to feed the ceiling with. :mug:

Liquidicem said:
Yep. That's why you need to remove it from the heat when adding the DME. Then put it back on a very low flame to keep it from boiling over.

Can you just mix the DME & water before heating the water at all?

Stevorino said:
Can you just mix the DME & water before heating the water at all?

yeah, that's what I do. I then use a "gloved" hand to pick up the flask and swirl the wort to help it dissolve while it heats so clumps don't scorch.

Works fine for me and I've never had a volcano. I hope you don't have blisters on your hands.

EdWort said:
yeah, that's what I do. I then use a "gloved" hand to pick up the flask and swirl the wort to help it dissolve while it heats so clumps don't scorch.

Works fine for me and I've never had a volcano. I hope you don't have blisters on your hands.

My left hand is red from a light burning, but I made the right move by jumping out of the way and watching rather than trying to turn down the burner :tank:

Bernie Brewer said:
+2. When I run out of saved wort from previous brews, I do it that way.

Saved Wort? Save a couple liters from the kettle for future starters instead of fermenting?

I tried making a starter in a flask once. I'll never do it again. Now, I boil the DME in a sauce pan, cool, and pour into my starter container (which is usually a 1-gallon apple juice jug). Soooo much easier.

BTW, unless one is using a stir plate, I don't see any need to spend money on lab quality glassware for starter making. An apple juice jug, like I use, works just as well. Just my 2 cents.

Back