Fresh Bitter Orange Peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohad

Reaction score
I'm making a Wit (5 gallon) and going to add some bitter orange peel.
I think the amount in most recipes is for dried peel.
On the one hand, fresh peel has high water content. On the other hand, its probably much more aromatic.

did anybody use fresh bitter orange in a wit?

one more thing. the peel I'm going to use was stored in the freezer for about 6 weeks. I don't think this should affect the flavor much. comments?

I ended up using around 1.7 ounces. I haven't tasted it yet.
does this sound fine ?

Hey man, tonight I'm going to be bottling a version of BM's Belgian Wit https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24978 only using .25oz of dried bitter orange peel, and making up the rest of the peel using Murcott Tangerine (AKA Honey Tangerine) peel. Since I didn't want to bother determining how much weight the water makes up in the fresh peel, I just estimated it by volume. The tangerine peel tasted the most similar to the dried bitter orange peel, and the white parts on both were of similar thickness.

I have no idea how much difference the water makes between fresh and dried peel, but please let us know how it turned out. Once I get my wit transferred for bottling I'll let you know how it tastes, at least how it tastes warm and flat. In another week or two I'll let you know how it is with carbonation and chilling.

On the freezing part, I don't imagine it'd make a difference. If most people use dried peel, freezing shouldn't be an issue at all.

Take it easy,
Dom

The Murcott wit tastes a bit less bitter than I remember the first batch being while I bottled it, but still very similar. I may be imagining it, but I think there's a bit more of a citrus taste to it. I'll let you know in a week or three how it tastes carbonated.

Rock on,
Dom

Back