Barley wine, IPA, ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
On the following recipe, would you consider it a barley wine, or IPA or something else......I know its difficult without tasting but if you had to guess what style would you say??
8lbs Light Malt extract
2lbs Old Barvian Munich
1lb 2row
2lb caravienne
1.5 oz chinook 60Min
3/4 oz Northern brewer 10min
1/4 oz Northern brewer End Boil
OG: 1.085
FG: 1.020
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you dry hopped the hell out of it i think it could be an ipa depending on how pale it is, otherwise i guess it could be an english barleywine, which are a little less acoholic than american ones.

what does the bjcp guidelines say?

SteveM said:
My impression is that Barley Wine is essentially defined by the use of champagne yeast.

That's not true at all. Often Champagne yeast is used to deal with the high OG since it is high alchohol tolerant, but is not necessasry.

When used it is often added after the original yeast has stalled. With proper aeration there are a lot of ale yeasts that will handle a high OG. Just pitch more yeast than normal if possible.

you could call it an 'old ale' too...ive never made a barley wine but i think the champagne yeast is used to prime barley wines which can be soo strong by the time you bottle them most ale yeast cant handle the alcohol, i wouldnt worry about that with your og/fg (which is not really that high)

you might just have an imperial ipa too...

Dark_Ale said:
On the following recipe, would you consider it a barley wine, or IPA or something else......I know its difficult without tasting but if you had to guess what style would you say??
8lbs Light Malt extract
2lbs Old Barvian Munich
1lb 2row
2lb caravienne
1.5 oz chinook 60Min
3/4 oz Northern brewer 10min
1/4 oz Northern brewer End Boil
OG: 1.085
FG: 1.020
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would call this an Imperial IPA.
Boost the OG up over 1.100 and add 3/4 oz of chinook for 45 minutes for a Barlywine.

no barley wine is not classified by the yeast. i just read the history of barley wine and its not the yeast that does it, its the high gravity. barley wines tend to be some where in the neighborhood of 1.080 to 1.100 and up. its the use of large amounts of barley usually 20 pounds or more.

edit: i don't have the book in front of me but i can get it and give you definitions if you like

I've got in in the secondary just about in its third week.....Getting ready to bottle.

Back