Water - Store-bought filtered vs. tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stepcg6

Reaction score
Question for you guys:

I live in Los Angeles and we actually have pretty decent water for brewing. About half if not more of my water is made up from water from the tap. I dilute it with cold spring water to bring the temperature down quicker after the boil.

My question: if I used chilled tap water instead, would this help the body and/or profile of my beer at all? Does tap water "thin" out my beer? I've heard better beer is made with full boils vs. partial boils so I'm wondering if this might help.

Thanks!

From what I've read, the main things that are going to change the body of your beer are your strike water ratio and the mash temperature. The type of water shouldn't change the consistency assuming the same amounts. Now, mixing your water will give you a different water profile, but the rule of thumb is, if it tastes good, it's okay to brew with.

Regarding full vs. partial boils... I would say that a full boil is the best option if you have the capacity to do so.

The only thing tap water is going to do differently is add whatever is in your tap water to your beer. So if there are a lot of minerals or chlorine/chloramine then that's going in your beer.

Back