Halted fermentation resolution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deuce37

Reaction score
Hey! First time brewer so please forgive the probably obvious question.
I kit brewed a golden lager (my first batch) and it's been in the fermenter for 8 days now.
The krausen has dropped and there's been no activity in the airlock in 48 hours. My hydrometer reading (pictured) has also been stationary for 48 hours. I did what I now know is silly and used the yeast in the kit which brings me finally to my question..
Do I need to pitch more yeast to finish the fermentation (and how much, if so)?
Or is it something else?
For extra information, Imainted a temperature of 70* throughout fermentation.
Would appreciate any help :)

image-3024313543.jpg

Hey! First time brewer so please forgive the probably obvious question.
I kit brewed a golden lager (my first batch) and it's been in the fermenter for 8 days now.
The krausen has dropped and there's been no activity in the airlock in 48 hours. My hydrometer reading (pictured) has also been stationary for 48 hours. I did what I now know is silly and used the yeast in the kit which brings me finally to my question..
Do I need to pitch more yeast to finish the fermentation (and how much, if so)?
Or is it something else?
For extra information, Imainted a temperature of 70* throughout fermentation.
Would appreciate any help :)

What makes you think 1.016 isn't finished?

I thought it would have to clear slightly before bottling.. Is that not the case?

Your beer is very cloudy which to me suggests that the yeast aren't done yet. 8 days is pretty short of a time for a beer to truly be done. Give it another week and take a hydrometer reading again and see if your reading isn't lower and your beer clearer. You won't hurt it a bit to leave it for 3 weeks either.

also a newb... but, my brain says, "no airlock activity for 48 hours"... have you just been watching it for 48 hrs straight? (put down the crack pipe and step away from the beer)

also.

i keep reading airlock activity is not THE indicator of fermentation. it's AN indication, but not the only.

also, cloudy beer isn't finished, let it sit. much, much longer than you want to.

No I didn't watch the airlock for 48 hours (haha) but during the hours I was home I never heard nor noticed any activity in the airlock. Appreciate the help though people, figured the cloudiness had to mean something. I'll be patient (as difficult as it is).

Back