Where did the term "strike" come from in "strike water"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal

Reaction score
Historically speaking, where did the term "strike" come from in "strike water"?

Is it because we "strike" the grain with the water when it's time to mash?

(Just one of the silly things that keeps me up at night... brewing terms drive me nuts).

Kal

Great question Thanks it will probably keep me up all night.:drunk: How about historical terms? Strike it rich. striking the mother load or rich. Could it be because we hit the temp with our water? We wanted 152 and once we struck it. We then proceeded to mash our grains. Best I could pull out of my posterior

I'll toss in my .02. How about the fact that we're striking a balance between the temp of the water and the temp of the grain in order to achieve a desired final temp?

I as well, just made that up :)

The older meaning of "strike" was "pass over lightly, stroke, smooth, rub" - not to hit something as it means today. It comes from the Latin word strigil which was ancient tool for scraping the skin after a bath.

My guess is that one is "smoothly stroking" the sugar out of the grain.

Doesn't anyone else imagine their grain entering the strike water like a comet hitting the earth and exploding beer goodness into the atmosphere? Anybody? No?

It's a great question. I can guess... but I'm looking forward to hearing the answer.

The older meaning of "strike" was "pass over lightly, stroke, smooth, rub" - not to hit something as it means today. It comes from the Latin word strigil which was ancient tool for scraping the skin after a bath.

My guess is that one is "smoothly stroking" the sugar out of the grain.

While I have been known to to smoothly stroke my wife, I've never struck her. I say this one is a stretch.

[now, where's that wife.... ]

Along with the definition of a blow or impact, I think a more subtle implication is that this impact is the beginning action of a process, like "striking out on your own", or "striking into song", "stricken with illness", or the phrase "the initial strike". Usually it doesn't specifically refer to an action that is done in the middle of a process, it can be the first of several actions, or the initial penetration or blow. So in the case of strike water, it is the initial measure of water that is added to the grain.

Along with the definition of a blow or impact, I think a more subtle implication is that this impact is the beginning action of a process, like "striking out on your own", or "striking into song", "stricken with illness", or the phrase "the initial strike". Usually it doesn't specifically refer to an action that is done in the middle of a process, it can be the first of several actions, or the initial penetration or blow. So in the case of strike water, it is the initial measure of water that is added to the grain.

Strike a match? I see your point.

Damn. I think that pretty much answers it. :mug:

6a0115709f071f970b0147e03cb049970b-550wi

Back