Am I crazy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dover157

Reaction score
Having just gotten into the home brew sceen I am thinking about growing my own hops starting next spring. The trouble is I cant find any info on how they will do in the area I live. Here in central NM its hot, dry and windy in the summer. Soil has a lot of clay and is fairly alkaline, so I know that I will have to do some work there before planting but im used to that. Any ideas what types may grow here, or is it just a fustration waiting to happen?

Crazy? Nah. I just got in to homebrewing as well, and in fact I planted some hops yesterday in my backyard - just in time for winter! THAT is crazy.

What I'm hoping is they will get some growth for the next month or so, go dormant in the winter, and then will have a bit of a head start for next spring, being already in the ground and all. I planted them in terrible dirt, and am just really hoping for the best. They are inexpensive so I don't care if I have to start over next spring.

Back