Nitrogen - anyone using it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoWheeler

Reaction score
Got the brain fart to maybe try putting my Belgian Quad on nitrogen when the time comes.

Anyone try anything similarly idiotic? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I have the tank from my old cobra tap system (currently full of CO2) and the smaller (empty) tank that came with my new kegerator, so I have an extra tank to play with.

Do I need a different regulator or anything?

You need a different regulator and tank. CO2 regulators have a female adaptor, nitrogen are male. Also you want a CO2 N mix, not pure N.

Not to hijack, but something maybe to consider. I went for my first beer gas fill today w/ a 5# tank. They filled & I asked what the mix was, expecting 25% CO2 & 75% N2. They told me pure nitrogen & that they couldn't mix beer gas in a 5# tank. Can only be mixed in a lab for that small of a quantity & that they'd be happy to trade in my new 5#tank for a 10#, upcharge included. Any truth to this? If so, why sell/ buy a 5#?

Not to hijack, but something maybe to consider. I went for my first beer gas fill today w/ a 5# tank. They filled & I asked what the mix was, expecting 25% CO2 & 75% N2. They told me pure nitrogen & that they couldn't mix beer gas in a 5# tank. Can only be mixed in a lab for that small of a quantity & that they'd be happy to trade in my new 5#tank for a 10#, upcharge included. Any truth to this? If so, why sell/ buy a 5#?

Nitrogen tanks usually come in CF not lbs. My tank is 22CF and basically the same size as a CO2 5lb tank. My local gas place filled it with beer gas no problem. I think it was a 30/70 mix. They charged $12, whereas regular CO2 is about $11.

Latest posts

Back