container for starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobrew

Reaction score
What kind of a contaners can be used to make a starter in besides the flasks? I want to make a starer but my lhbs did not have any.
ToBrew

most people without flasks use growlers but really you can use just about anything. Clear glass if preferable but not required.

Preferably glass, but basically anything you can fit with a stopper & f-lock. I've used apple juice jars, wine bottles, beer bottles, growlers, probably some less reputable containers, too.

Any glass or strong plastic container will work that you can sanitize...I've seen all sorts.

starter.jpg

finishstart.jpg

starter.jpg

10-yeast-starter.jpg

I've used a large spaghetti sauce jar before...It worked great on my stirplate when I didn't want to use my large flask for a small amount of harvesting yeast.

FYI, you don't need and some would strongly suggest not putting an airlock on starters. A loose foil covering is more than sufficient. This would allow you to use just about any vessel you desire.

FYI, you don't need and some would strongly suggest not putting an airlock on starters. A loose foil covering is more than sufficient. This would allow you to use just about any vessel you desire.

+1. I've used a growler and a glass juice jar.

anything you can sanitize this is what I used one of the quart and a half apple juice bottles from the Apfelwien for my Saison this was before I had a stir plate. I just kept the lid loosely on there

starter7.JPG

Back