fastest fermentation ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer1

Reaction score
i thought i would make a lighter beer for my kids since they do not appreaciate my more flavorful browns& ipa "s that i like . so
sunday i brewed up 8 gal of a pale ale
10 lb 2-row
2 lb crystal malt #40
1 lb carapils
1.5 oz liberty
1.75 oz cascade

O.G-1.045
i first noticed fermentation activity 2.5 hours after pitching yeast ,i used COOPERS dry yeast, it was the first time i have used this. store was out of safale 05. 24 hours later visible fermentation had stopped so Tuesday night i took a hydrometer reading i was about 1.010 its Wednesday morning i take another reading and it reads the same this is my fastest fermentation ever ( the samples taste like what i was hoping for) is it the coopers yeast work that well? my fementor is in enclosed space under the stairs and stays about 70* (sorry this should have been under fermentation @yeast heading)

i thought i would make a lighter beer for my kids since they do not appreaciate my more flavorful browns& ipa "s that i like . so

Hahaha. I completely misunderstood for about 3 seconds when I read it. I would be careful saying your brewing beer for kids! Just joking.

Yeah that is a very quick fermentation. I used coopers for the first 2 extract batches I did and I don't recall how long they took exactly. I don't think I got activity as fast as you did and I think they continued for about 3 days or so. Hey the hydrometer doesn't lie nor does your palate. If it did it that quick so be it. :rockin:

i should specify 4 of my 6 kids are of legal drinking age 4 girls age 21- 28 a young man-18 @ a girl 10

I closely monitor all my fermentations - I'm kind of a nerd I guess. I have had batches of ale that began producing CO2 within 1 hour of pitching the yeast - usually takes a few hours. I have had ale batches similar to what you mention in the post, all the way to 1.010 within 30 hours. This is rare though. Normally the fall from 1.020 to 1.010 is much slower than the initial drop. What makes the yeast behave differently? So many possibilities, sounds like this was a hungry bunch of real heavyweights. Hopefully it wasn't some wild strain, seriously doubt it.

Back