When I belch I taste burnt rubber!! AHHHH!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klamz

Reaction score
2 weeks ago I primed my Bohemian dark lager with dextrose and after drinking a bottle yesterday I got this nasty burnt rubber or bandaid flavor when belching!! Was I supposed to bottle condition in room temp or in ferm temp? My ferm temp was 55F using Salflager S-23. I think something went wrong at bottling time and i'm not sure what. Should i put a few back in the fridge at 55F in hopes that the flavor will clear up after a week or 2? FYI, I also boiled the dextrose using TAP water and not the poland springs bottled water i used for the whole batch.

I used:

-Poland springs bottled water
-used LME
-YEast Saflager S-23
-primary was 2 weeks at 55F
-secondary was 5 weeks at 39F
-Dextrose priming sugar boiled with tap water

I think my sanitation is acceptable.

I have a wine fridge with a built in thermostat so i am sure temp control was not the issue during PRI and SEC.

I would think a Bohemian dark would need much more time to age. Like a month more at the very least to all the flavors to combining into something much more tasty.

Was this bottled or kegged?

He said in the first post it was bottled.

This could be from chlorine in the water, Bandaid flavor is common of oxidation (bandaid/cardboard) or I think it can also come from actually boiling the sugar for priming. I had this before switching to kegging. It was ONLY in bottled batches and I boiled my sugar to dissolve it. I later read to boil the water to sanitize it, then remove it from heat and add the sugar and dissolve.
Do you know the chlorine content of your water?

He said in the first post it was bottled.

This could be from chlorine in the water, Bandaid flavor is common of oxidation (bandaid/cardboard) or I think it can also come from actually boiling the sugar for priming. I had this before switching to kegging. It was ONLY in bottled batches and I boiled my sugar to dissolve it. I later read to boil the water to sanitize it, then remove it from heat and add the sugar and dissolve.
Do you know the chlorine content of your water?

Report shows that my NY tap water has approx. .68 mg/L of chlorine. I do smell it when it comes out of my faucet and it smells like a swimming pool! So you're sure it has nothing to do with the temp during bottle conditioning?

If that’s the case ill try the bottled water for priming and boil the water first before adding the sugar.

I do smell it when it comes out of my faucet and it smells like a swimming pool!

A small amount of chlorine will get sort of magnified during fermentation. If you can smell it out of the tap then you need to remove the chlorine with a filter or campden tabs or use bottled/distilled/reverse osmosis water.

Back