DME - too many to choose from

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calman

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been brewing with Briess DME which I bought 6 lbs at a time from my LHBS. This time I want to try to buy and stock about 50lbs of DME. At least I can see right away, Briess DME from online is not that much cheaper than my LHBS, but DME from other manufactures like Munton & Fison (UK), Cooper’s (Australia)... are a lot cheaper. Are the quality different? Any expericences with those DME you would share? Thanks.

SwAMi75 said:
M&F works fine, and is widely available.

My LHBS does not have it. Austinhomebrew.com does not have it. Only Briess! and it's like twice as expensive as M&F. I think I'll try MF. Thanks.

calman said:
My LHBS does not have it. Austinhomebrew.com does not have it. Only Briess! and it's like twice as expensive as M&F. I think I'll try MF. Thanks.

I can't imagine that you would taste too much of a diffeernce... just out of curiousity... just how much more is it? What are you paying for it?

Beer Snob said:
I can't imagine that you would taste too much of a diffeernce... just out of curiousity... just how much more is it? What are you paying for it?
I paid ~$4/lb Briess DME, while M&F only cost about $2.15/lb.

calman said:
I paid ~$4/lb Briess DME, while M&F only cost about $2.15/lb.

For a 1 pound bag... 4 bucks is about what I'm paying too... Not sure of the brand though.... still in the bag though so I can chck later...

I wouldn't try a bulk purchase of a DME that you heve never tried before. I am pretty sure that all the commonly available DME's are of uniformly high quality, but you can get very different results from switching brands as each manufacturer's mashing process is different.
Try a small amount first. If you are happy with the results, go for a bulk purchase. If you're not happy, either adjust your recipe, or switch to another brand.

-a.

OK, so I spilled a little DME on the counter yesterday and it was concrete this morning. How do you store DME to keep it from soaking up humidity (and don't tell me to put it in water with hops and yeast). SWMBO is far from pleased that I didn't clean it up.

Cheesefood said:
OK, so I spilled a little DME on the counter yesterday and it was concrete this morning. How do you store DME to keep it from soaking up humidity (and don't tell me to put it in water with hops and yeast). SWMBO is far from pleased that I didn't clean it up.

Yeah, I hate that, too. I just put mine in those gallon size freezer bags, and force the air out of them. It'll get a little crusty around the edges, but the bulk of it stays good and powdery.

I've gotten to where I hate dealing with the stuff. I need to start harvesting yeast so I don't have to make starters anymore.

Cheesefood said:
My 55# boxes are double bagged inside. Once you scoop out and weigh what you need you simply close it back up with the rubber bands it came with. I don't have any clumpy DME...and I have 6 full and/or partially emptied boxes.

homebrewer_99 said:
I recommend using the lightest (extra light) DME you can find for your base malts.

From an XL DME base you can add 1/4 lb Chocolate and whatever for coloring and flavor, etc.;)

I use Munton's.:D

I'll second that recommendation. On a side note, using the lightest DME you can find for your yeast starters is also a good idea. It's give you a neutral platform for launching virtually any style beer.

I just got my first 55# bag of DME and it has stayed in good shape. I also have a air tight container that holds approx 5lbs which I keep filled for making starters so I don't have to go into the bigger bags as often. Only issue I have with the bags are when I am measuring out the DME for my brewing, I always get my arm covered with it and as it has been said before that sh*t is sticky.

Until now, most people just mention light, dark, medium DME! Ignoring its manufacture! Seems like there is no reason to spend more for not much difference.

There is some difference in fermentability between brands. "Designing Great Beers" has a good breakdown on this, but I don't have it on me at the moment. I believe the least fermentable is Laaglander (sp?), with M&F being among the most fermentable.

Personally I think that unless you're wanting something with massive body and sweetness, stick with the high fermentables. That way you can twek it up with your specialty malts.

Back