New HBS in Conway, SC (myrtle beach area)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a regular at Homebrewer's Pantry in Conway, I just wanted to say that this shop is still going strong and helping get a burgeoning craft beer scene started here at the beach. Definitely check out HBP.

Yeah I was in there last month to pick up my initial homebrew kit, the guy was super informative and nice, threw in a couple of things he didn't have to to get me started. I'll definitely go back, especially if I need more used bottles. Wayyyy cheaper than getting them new online.

Is there a homebrew club in Myrtle Beach/Conway? If not, is there any interest in starting one?

Is there a homebrew club in Myrtle Beach/Conway? If not, is there any interest in starting one?

I live in Darlington and we are sorely lacking in this region for anything remotely close to a beer/wine hobby store. I had asked a buddy in Florence if a LHBS may be successful in Florence and he said one had started and failed. Same in Conway, and I can't believe MB would not have a LHBS but apparently not.

So, with that said, I have been asking why? Folks say online shopping is cheaper and easier than driving. Also, one fellow said that craft beer selections fill store isles now, unlike the offerings 10 years ago. Now you can buy really cool beers more easily than if you can try to brew them yourself. This is not my opinion but what others are saying.

I drive to Charlotte (two hours) to the closest decent store. This is not great.

I currently travel to Wilmington. They seem to be making it but their key is that they're a LHBS and a brewery. I was saddened when the one in Conway first converted to a bottle shop and then closed for good.

To make matters worse we lost the store with the best selection of craft beer when the Piggly Wiggly in Market Common of Myrtle Beach closed so I'll be brewing more than ever now.

If you haven't made it to Wilmington and it's a closer drive for you it's worth a visit!

I currently travel to Wilmington. They seem to be making it but their key is that they're a LHBS and a brewery. I was saddened when the one in Conway first converted to a bottle shop and then closed for good.

To make matters worse we lost the store with the best selection of craft beer when the Piggly Wiggly in Market Common of Myrtle Beach closed so I'll be brewing more than ever now.

If you haven't made it to Wilmington and it's a closer drive for you it's worth a visit!

What is the name of the LHBS store in Wilmington? I never did go to the Pig in the Market Commons but do know that area has some trendy offerings. Where in MB offers the most comprehensive selection of craft beers?

The Wilmington Brewing Co is the name of the brewery and homebrew store. They are more than reasonable on prices and offer some great beer. They currently have over 10 barrels of a beer they're aging and it's a relaxed environment which I enjoy!

Really good question about where to go in Myrtle Beach and I don't know that I have a good answer. The Pig was the best. The rest, in my opinion, are average at best. Green's or The Pavillion are okay but they miss out on a lot of good beer and are very limited in what they get for rarer beer releases. For example, I've heard that they are going to sell HopSlam by the can and I believe have a two can limit. I'm originally from Michigan so this concept is foreign to me. When I lived in MI, for KBS as an example, you lined up ahead of time but you were able to get a 4 pack, rather than waiting in line for 1 bottle or can. I think our area could really benefit from having a full bottle shop.

There's brewers here in Conway, and a local club. The club is called MASH (Myrtle Beach Area Society of Homebrewers) and there are meetings. Once Homebrewer's Pantry / Bottle Shop in Conway closed; I, too, have started going to Wilmington again for grains. They were the first place I ever bought from and their prices, service, and beer are excellent. Link is below for the group.

https://www.facebook.com/mbhomebrewers/?fref=ts

I'm on there as Brad Jones. Feel free to hit me up to talk or swap beers sometime. Always looking to learn new things or get new opinions!

We are new to the MB area and living in Carolina Forest. We brew ales, meads, ciders, wines, vinegars, and kombuchas. Trying to find an active group to join. Any suggestions?

Back