Super Bowl Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
This may be a disappointment. My beer is not carbonated yet. It's been in the bottle for 15 days at a steady 68-70 degrees and has a slight carb to it, no head at all. It does, however, taste great and gives you a head change with just one glass. It's my first 5 gal batch (started with Mr.Beer) Autumn Amber Ale from MWS. I am forced to put a 12 pack in the fridge today so it will be super chilled by game time tomorrow. I know the rule of thumb is around 70 degrees for a minimum of three weeks, but I wanted this ready by super bowl time. Hopefully my friends won't think it's horrible. I have a friend who just started kegging and force carbonating his beer and will bring his keg to the party. Will be interesting to see the difference in quality of beer between kegging and bottling.

Tell 'em you brewed it especially for a low carb effect to prevent bloating while snacking.

Sorry to hear man. I brewed the same kit as you and my test-brew was pretty much all carbed up after 10 days. How did you add the sugar solution?

P1000525-small_zpsee477f96.jpg

Sorry to hear man. I brewed the same kit as you and my test-brew was pretty much all carbed up after 10 days. How did you add the sugar solution?

I batched primed in my bottling bucket. I mixed 5oz of priming sugar with about 1.5 cups of water. I made sure my siphon tube was coiled at the bottom to create that whirl pool affect. I hope my caps are holding a seal. They were new caps and a new capper. When I bottled I noticed that I could twist the cap on the bottle, but the cap couldn't come off without an opener. I chopped it up to be the starsan because starsan is slippery. The next day the caps were tight and wouldn't twist after the starsan was dry.

Your beer looks great! How long was it in the fridge?

Did you mix the sugar only, or did you boil the sugar for a bit?

The former might lead to some uneven carbonation. You may have some bottles that are carbed - or overcarbed - while some stay flat.

Did you mix the sugar only, or did you boil the sugar for a bit?

The former might lead to some uneven carbonation. You may have some bottles that are carbed - or overcarbed - while some stay flat.

I boiled the water then took off the heat. Then immediately mixed in the sugar.

Tell 'em you brewed it especially for a low carb effect to prevent bloating while snacking.

This! :D

I batched primed in my bottling bucket. I mixed 5oz of priming sugar with about 1.5 cups of water.

That's your problem right there. I know Mr. Malty and other calculators advise 3/4 cup of dextrose (corn sugar), but I find mine do far better with a full cup of corn sugar to 2 cups water to make your simple syrup. For DME or table sugar, I use 1.25 cups. I've never had a carbonation problem after upping my priming dosage by 1/4 cup.

Definitely get your bottles into the cold fridge NOW, and turn your fridge down to a nice low setting. Water based fluids have more CO2 holding capacity the colder they get. To draw out some of the CO2 blanketing the beer in the neck of the bottle, cold crash those suckers for 24-48 hours.

Forget "proper serving temperature" blah blah. Your non-brewer friends aren't going to care about that. They just want cold refreshing beer on game day. Chill down those bottles ASAP and keep them cold until served.

This! :D

That's your problem right there. I know Mr. Malty and other calculators advise 3/4 cup of dextrose (corn sugar), but I find mine do far better with a full cup of corn sugar to 2 cups water to make your simple syrup. For DME or table sugar, I use 1.25 cups. I've never had a carbonation problem after upping my priming dosage by 1/4 cup.

Definitely get your bottles into the cold fridge NOW, and turn your fridge down to a nice low setting. Water based fluids have more CO2 holding capacity the colder they get. To draw out some of the CO2 blanketing the beer in the neck of the bottle, cold crash those suckers for 24-48 hours.

Forget "proper serving temperature" blah blah. Your non-brewer friends aren't going to care about that. They just want cold refreshing beer on game day. Chill down those bottles ASAP and keep them cold until served.

Beer is in the fridge now. When I said 5 oz I meant by weight, not volume. 5oz by weight of priming sugar for 5 gal of beer should be plenty correct? After all that's what came with the kit.

Thanks, I have been using this http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/

Everything adds up correctly.....

Desired C02 = 2.5

Gallons of beer = 5 gal

Beer Temp = 68 degrees

Results = 4.4 oz of corn sugar.....I used 5 oz so if anything the beer should be properly primed. I used the calculator you linked to and the one I normally use and had the same results. My beer probably just needs another week or 2 because the temp is slightly below 70 degrees.

This wait is really disappointing. Right now everything is telling me to spend some of my tax return on a kegging system :)

Back