An impromptu IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonetlumiere85

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got together with some friends recently who are brewing novices but interested nonetheless. Our LHBS was closed at the time and I didn't think enough in advance to get any specialty malt, so we were limited to the extracts I had on hand. I know this is sort of a silly recipe, but it is what we brewed and I'm excited about it. Feel free to critique away!

Fermentables
US Flaked Rice Syrup Solids 1.00 lb Start of Boil
Extract - Light Dried Malt Extract 5.00 lb Late Extract Addition
Extract - Golden Light Dried Extract 2.00 lb Start Of Boil
Sugar - Corn Sugar/Dextrose (Dry) 1.00 lb Start Of Boil
Malto-dextrine 8 oz near end of boil

Hops
US Nugget 13.7%AA 1oz Start of Boil (60 min)
Challenger 7%AA 1oz 20 min from end
Sterling 7%AA 1oz 10 min from end
EK Goldings 5.5%AA 1 oz at flame-out

Misc
1tsp irish moss
1 capsule AHS yeast nutrient
IC at flame-out

Expected IBU: 60
Expected Color: 6 SRM
Expected gravity: 1.064
Temp corrected OG: 1.074 (evaporation, probably slightly under 5.2 gal target)

I got a fresh tube of WLP001 for this recipe and pitched at appropriate temp. Being foolish, though, I then let the fermenter sit in my cold apartment, where it dropped down to 60 degrees. I picked up a brew belt and pitched a little bit of S-04 to help things get going and avoid bacterial contamination. It's now picking up and is around 63-64 degrees, and the krausen is just starting to form.

The main input I'm looking for is related to the hop selections. Those were the hops I had on hand, and I didn't want to make an IPA with the more traditional Cascade/Mt. Hood style, so I just went with it. What do you guys think I can expect?

Cheers!

I think you can expect a very pale, strong beer with soilid hops character.

The rice and dextrose will mean the body will be a bit thin, even with the maltodextrin. Hopefully it'll stand up to the hops.

Speaking of which, that's a fairly interesting melange of hops. I'd be interested in trying this one.

Bob

Yeah I realized afterwards that I probably didn't need both the rice syrup and sugar. I would've much preferred to use some crystal instead, but alas...I guess I was hoping the simpler sugars would carmelize a bit in the pot, but I don't think I got much carmelization because of a full boil. The hop profile was really nice while it was in the pot, very herbal and minty. I'll be sure to update when it finishes!

Well the fermentation was very vigorous for a few days and the temps were good. Took a gravity reading yesterday, still at 1.030, but no signs that the yeast have quit completely. Tasting the gravity reading revealed a very strange beer that will definitely taste better without yeast/protein sediment floating around.

Back