My first partial mash.....Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApolloSpeed

Reaction score
Well, I bottled my first every partial mash 4 days ago, and I tried a bottle today......it tastes wonderful!!!

Almost exactly like Hoegaarden, yet just a tad sweeter.....But not as clear or white looking as Hoegaarden.

here's what I did....

5.00 lb- Wheat Liquid Extract
1.00 lb- White Wheat Malt
1.25 lb- Bel. Pilsner
0.50 lb- Wheat, Flaked
1.00 oz- Cascade [5.50 %] (.5 for 30 min, .5 for 5 min.) Hops 15.0 IBU
0.50 oz- Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.50 oz- Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
White Labs #WLP400

OG=1048 - FG=1010

Thanks to everyone that helped me out on all my noob questions lately.:tank:

Didn't help but congrats = remember - it will only get better for the next few months. I suggest you put a few bottles away only to open in a month or 2(because you will drink must of your brew early).

it's hard to do.....hahaha, my friend and I already went through 1 case.

But I did another batch and reused the yeast, and it should be ready to bottle in a couple days.

This stuff is so good.......I had that friend back to back compare a real Hoegaarden to it, and he likes mine better because it was slightly more smooth and sweet.

The extra sweetness should go away with time as there was probably some priming sugar still in there (not enough time for the yeast to eat and properly carb). Gratz on your beer though!

If I used more white wheat.....would it lighten the color of my beer a little more?

Didn't help but congrats = remember - it will only get better for the next few months. I suggest you put a few bottles away only to open in a month or 2(because you will drink must of your brew early).

i disagree. i think wit beers (and most light hefeweizens) should be finished within the first 2 months of bottling. they begin to decline after six weeks or so.

if you want to make that beer as white as hoegaarden (or at least close), you're going to have to use a high percentage of unmalted wheat (not flaked wheat) you will also need to do all-grain...which is just as easy as a partial mash. i'll have a thread up soon that explains how to do all-grain in your kitchen with nothing but a few pots and a bag.

it's not about the color for the most part anyway, as long as you make a tasty beer ;)

Back