How soon is too soon too rub your meat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
All joking aside, how soon is too soo to put the rub on a boston butt? I would like to do it the night before, effectively placing the rub on the pork a solid 23 hours before i start to smoke it.

is that too long?

All joking aside, how soon is too soo to put the rub on a boston butt?

Nope can't resist. Even in the presenve of the Rev.

All depends on how quickly I can locate the right butt in Boston to rub.

I would never concern myself with getting my rub on for too long (unless it starts to chaffe). It when your rub is too short when regarding porking.

Man, I don't know if I could rub it that long...

I usually only go for 15-30 mins or so, but in that time I give it a good deep rub and massage to work everything all in there. The end result is always fantastic.

I always rub the butt the night before and then again before it goes on the smoker. I used to worry about too much seasoning. Reality is that you throw out about half of it due to fat.

Heh. :D

Overnight is ok. There is some concern that, depending on how much salt is in the rub, that it'll begin to "cure" at some point. I believe it depends on the cut of meat though, wouldn't try 24 hours with say, babybacks. But a butt should be ok.

there is some salt in it but the majority of it consists of paprika and dark brown sugar.

Cool, now to juvinle it up a bit, no one call me, ill be rubbing my meat for the next 24 min.:mug:

If there's grass on the field, play ball.

On a serious note....like the others have said, just wrap it up. I think the longer the better. I usually let mine soak up the rub for a good 24-36 hours or so.

reverend JC said:
Cool, now to juvinle it up a bit, no one call me, ill be rubbing my meat for the next 2.4 min.
I fixed this for you.:D

It would take a good deal of time for a medium sized cut like a Butt to cure via rub. I'd say at least 3 days in a brine so you'll be fine with a dry rub.

Rubbed and wrapped.

I will try to take some pics of it now that I have done it a few times. My mouth is watering and i have atleast 7 hours before i even start to smoke it:rockin:

A few pics of the progress:

DSC00529.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

More to come, the charcoal is warming up right now.

nope, its 5:40, or was, and I am going to smoke those bad boys till 10:00 then toss them in the oven at 205 and forget about them until tomorrow morn around 9 when i will take them out and let them rest in their foil wrapped goodness until i pull it at about 10:30 then head to the tailgate:rockin:

Ahhhhhhhhh, a nice 4 hour smoke with cherry wood.

DSC00532.jpg

And now to wrap then in foil and toss in the oven until tomorrow morning around 9am.

sweet dreams all:ban:

Just my two cents, here . . . . I tried rubbing butts and brisket the night before putting them on. The only difference I found between them and the meat that I rubbed just before going on was the mess and labor of wrapping them in plastic wrap.

TL

TexLaw, I'm with you on that. I don't put rub on my shoulders period, just good old hickory smoke. And I rub my briskets and ribs down just prior to loading them in my smoker.

My friend is a fan of the rub and wrap method... then he fridgerates for hours... I have noticed a hammy taste to the pork on different occasions.

Back