Is this batch ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMM

Reaction score
First timer here - never done this before.

My wife wanted a brewing kit for her B-day, so I hooked her up. It was to be her project. We got a pale ale kit for the first run. I studied the process a bit, and I believe I understand all the basics. Too bad she didn't. :(

She did everything fine (from what I saw), followed all the steps, and the vapor lock started releasing gas within 24 hours. So far, so good.

Three days later, she realized that she had added ALL the sugar that came with the kit (unknown to me) - including the priming sugar. It isn't bubbling anymore, but it was for the first couple of days. It's been about 6 days since she started it.

Did dumping all that sugar in ruin the batch? Can anything be done, is it worth waiting out, or should we start over?

It'll be fine, just have a little bit more alcohol in the finish product. Now you just need to run to your LHBS and get some more priming sugar.

Nothing wrong with more alcohol!

Theoretically, is there anything that could go wrong from adding too much sugar? You can't kill the yeast by adding too much, can you?

She's got a hydrometer, I'll make sure she's actually using it. I know she took a preliminary reading, so we should be ok.

Thanks for the replies.

No, yeasties love sugar. They even have two ways to process it (with or without O2)! People sometimes add a maltose/dextrose mix to increase alcohol 1% w/o off-flavours... I don't see how a little extra dextrose would cause any?

the yeast doesnt like alot of sugar but that is from extremely high gravity beers. Too much alchol will also kill yeast
i would be more worried about temperatures you are fermenting in

If you added a ridiculous amount of sugar it could overwhelm the yeast or they would produce too much alcohol which would end up killing them, but that would require alot more than an extra 5oz of priming sugar

Adding the priming sugar will likely not even affect the alcohol content all that much (although I do not know exactly how much sugar we are talking about here). You'll just have to run out and get some more and RDWHAHB.

She might just need a spanking after that though...

RDWHAHB or in your case a commercial brew being a first timer. Adding the additional 5 oz. of priming sugar will have little to no effect on the finish product IMO. In relation to the entire amount of fermentables, 5 oz is not much at all. I have not done it myself, but some very experienced brewers support the idea of priming w/ table sugar (I would take this route of corn sugar was not readily avail. I believe you use a bit less (guessing 4-4.5 oz.) as it is slightly more fermentable.

Don't feel pressured that you need to run out and do anything, my opinion is that the best thing to do is nothing! Why even bother checking gravity at this point? Personally, I don't like the idea of "mucking" around w/ the brew and opening the fermenter to obsess on gravity at five or ten days is kind of pointless, unless you are trying to bottle asap which is not helpful.

+1 on what was said about watching ferment temps. Mid to low sixties works well for most ales, try and avoid anything over 70. The fermenting brew will generate heat and can be 5-6 degrees above ambient.

My advice would be to be patient and let it sit for 2-3 weeks prior to bottling. Hydrometer is usefull, but in the absence of one, more time is always your friend.

5 ounces of priming sugar isn't really enough to kill the yeasts...and I'm not sure it would contribute significantly to the alcohol boost either.....It may not even dry out the beer that much either....it's not a heck of a lot of sugar.

Just make sure it is truly finished out before bottling or anything...

I was interested in this so I did a little search... here's a light-on-the-science explanation I found:

"WHY does an excess of sugar inhibit the yeast?

My guess would be that the osmotic concentration of the sugar gets so great that the yeast is unable to get enough water for growth.

As fresh yeast is more than 90% water, the single substance most needed for growth is water. As osmotic concentration increases, the water potential of the sugar solution gets more and more negative until it reaches a point where is lower than the water potential of the yeast cell contents and water tends to move OUT of the cell rather than IN. I do not know whether yeast cells are able to take up water actively, by expenditure of metabolic energy to pump the water against the water potential gradient.

I imagine that up to a certain concentration, the limiting factor is the amount of sugar available for respiration and synthesis of cell materials with the yeast able to take in more water than needed for growth. As the concentration of the sugar increases, although respiration and synthesis can take place faster, the uptake of water gets slower and slower until we reach a point where the rate of uptake of water becomes the limiting factor."

I'd guess it would take a hell of a lot of sugar to reach those concentrations...

Good to know we should be ok, thanks guys.

I agree with the idea of just letting it sit for the two to three weeks and not even bothering with taking readings. Seems like popping it open is just asking for potential trouble, especially since we are first-timers.

Back