Dry hop with Williamette?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMann

Reaction score
I have an ipa i am getting ready to dry hop. It was bittered with Magnum, and aroma comes from cascades. Was debating on dry hopping with Willamette's, or just use cascades. The cascades are in pellet form, and the will's are whole leaf that's the reason I am thinking to go with the will's. Anyone else dry hopped with will's?

willamette is a fuggle variety. it would be great for dry hopping. i'm using it in my keg of brown bitter right now.

it will not have the american/grassy "quality" of cascade (i don't like cascade, myself)

I just brewed my CBC Beach Blonde Ale today.. 100% willamette I have never dry hopped it but I have thought about it.
Thanks for the idea.
JJ

Just curious how long should I leave the hops in the secondary? If i decide to leave it for a couple months would it still be fine?

How did the IPA turn out?
I am dry hopping my current pale ale with williamette because I wanted something different after using cascade to dry hop another pale ale and my Brown Lightning Ale.
My LHBS only had cascade, perle, and williamette in whole leaf form available.

EDIT: For some reason I thought this thread was current. Whoops. Apologies.

Drinking a smash that my friend and I bottled two weeks ago that we made with MO/Williamette/Nottingham. Tasting pretty good. We dry hopped, but the MO is really shining through in the aroma right now. Surprisingly big malt smell on a 4% beer. It does have a very pleasant, hmm...earthy/woody kinda smell to it, though, that I think must be from the Williamettes. We just dry hopped with one ounce, though, because we didn't want to go bigger with such a small beer. Next time I'd go with two. I can definitely see this being really good in an IPA.

Back