DME Conversion to LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickedale

Reaction score
Does anyone know the conversion factor from DME to LME? I’m guessing there has to be a difference pound for pound. The difference from dry to liquid has to change it's OG.

Let me clarify a little. Referring to a recipe that calls for DME and I would like to use LME.

Maybe because dme is a pain to add to boiling water? Maybe because he needs a certain style, eg here I can get only light and dark in dry, but I can get amber and extra light in liquid.
BTW it's 25% more for liquid needed when substituting liquid in the place of dry.

My first time adding dry to a boil I scorched the bottom of my pot. It's certainly quite a pain.

Maybe because dme is a pain to add to boiling water? Maybe because he needs a certain style, eg here I can get only light and dark in dry, but I can get amber and extra light in liquid.
BTW it's 25% more for liquid needed when substituting liquid in the place of dry.

You can make almost any style with light DME, you just have to use some specialty grains. I agree that it is harder to add DME to your water (btw, you should never add DME or LME to boiling water, it will scorch the extract), but the effort is worth it.

Yeah sorry, I didn't mean boiling water, you shouldn't add even LME to boiling water.
What I meant is if there's any vapour coming off the water because it's just been boiled a few min ago, DME just sticks to everything and goes hard and clumps up.
You can add specialty grains, but you can't make regular light DME any paler, you can buy extra pale liquid malt extract.

Use 1.25 lb LME for every 1 lb of DME you would have used. Basically, see how much DME the recipe calls for and DIVIDE that number by 0.8.

Thanks for all the input guys. I've brewed about four partial mash thus far. I am really thinking about going AG for this next one. Then I won't have to worry about DME or LME:rockin:

I'm in the same boat, I've brewed 6 extracts, now I'm out of bottles and storage space. So while I've got nothing to put brews in, I'm buying, making and modifying equipment for AG.
By the time I have a spare batch of bottles in about a month, I should have all the gear to make the next batch AG.

Thats awsome Paul, I put the word out to my buddies that I was looking for a few used cooler to use. And I had two 48 qt igloos dropped at my door a few days later.:) Free to Me HA guess I'm going AG now:tank:

Back