Brewing wheat beer - Mash method question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iziks

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Iam new to all grain and have a few questions hoping you could shed some light

Iam gonna do A Wheat beer:
50% wheat 45% Pils 2.5% Crystal 2.5% Flaked wheat and some rice hulls to get the wort running easier..

I understand that a proteing rest in these volumes of wheat is needed, for better sterch conversion(?), but i understood aswell that these protein rest may inflict badly on the head retention,

Question:

Will it be a smart move to first do a protein rest on all of the bill apart of the flaked wheat, later adding the flaked wheat for the 60min mashing to preserve the head retention? is this wise thinking?

thanks alot,

I do simple, one step infusion mashing and have never had a problem with conversion on a wheat beer. 50% wheat isn't that much, the Pilsner will definitely be able to do the job in that grain bill.

Others who do protein rests may be able to give you more direct help.

I love wheat beers! I brew them every chance I get. As Pappers mentions, I would just do a straight single infusion mass on that grain bill, but will defer to others who have more experience with protein rests.

With today's highly modified malts, IMO a single infusion mash is perfectly fine. I've brewed several different wheats both with and without rests and really have yet to tell the difference side by side.

I will say that rice hulls would be a good addition to your mash to prevent any stuck sparge issues.

Rice hulls are an excellent idea on wheat beers because stuck sparges are a PITA. A handful of rice hulls are cheap and case save a ton of hassle

Back