IPA Recipe - Too much crystal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For this batch I boiled the majority of the hops per the schedule, but I reserved a small portion of the Fuggles and KG hops and dryhopped them in the primary after the krausen fell. It was maybe 4-5 pellets of each.

Just a quick follow up on this recipe. Cracked my first one today, about 2.5 weeks in the bottle. Still young, but good. The balance is strange - as you drink it your sense is "Whoa, a bit malty" which then swings to "Whoa, a bit bitter". It will mellow out nicely I think, but is probably going to age toward the malty side.

I have a very similar batch in the primary now, only difference is that I used Nottingham vs. Windsor yeast, so it ought to attenuate out a bit more. I think that a change in the direction that I want it to go.

What was the measured FG? If it was in the mid-to-high teens, I can see why it tastes malty.

FG was 1.019 for that batch. That was with Windsor, so it was actually on target attenuation-wise, but yeah - the first thing I switched was to use Nottingham in the next batch, and I knocked down the crystal fraction of the bill. That batch just went into bottle so I'll know in a few weeks how things worked out.

Back