Aging/Conditioning Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampdog

Reaction score
I just took the first taste of a batch of oatmeal stout. Its not what I expected. Its very dry, with strong roasted (almost burnt) flavors that can only be described as harsh. The word "bitter" also comes to mind.

It spent seven days in the primary, two weeks in the secondary, and then conditioned for seven more days at 68 degrees in the keg. I like to prime my kegs with corn sugar and condition naturally. I've now reduced the temp down to 37 degrees in the hopes that a cold "lagering" period may mellow it out.

Am I going the right way with this? Should I age it at fermentation temps instead?

Thanks,
John

It's most likely a little 'green' still. 4 weeks for a stout is really pushing it. I'd give it another week or two and everything should mellow out. Usually, when I do a sout, it's two months minimum before I even think about drinking it. And at this point, I'd keep it cooler than fermentation temps.

Definitely agree with the above. Also, post your recipe and process, that way people can see if there is something there that sticks out.

I agree that it tastes harsh because you haven't given it sufficient time to age. Patience will yield its rewards!

I leave all my stouts and porters in the secondary for at least a couple months now (I have gone as much as nearly 6 months). I learned my lesson drinking so-so stout too soon, only to find some lost bottles of it months later and discover an entirely different and wonderful brew. Give it some time for those flavours to mellow. Age AT LEAST a month.

Back