What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prima Pils by Victory. I always try to make it through a beer even if I don't like it, but this one I had to dump.

Great rant Nargan! I hate Rogue! I always knew that in the past, but didn't know why, and you helped me to understand it :mug:

Let me know what you think.

Alright, just popped one of my DFH 61 and even with very low expectations from your post, i have to say it is not terrible, but in no way good. It has almost no hop flavor or aroma at all for an IPA. It also has a very dry tannin flavor which I would assume comes from the wine. Even though it has that dry taste, it also have a sweet aroma like unfermented grape juice. I guess that is what happens when you dont dry out a red wine like it is supposed to be (I would think a Syrah would be below 1.000 when it is all said and done, but this surely isn't).

If I had to sum it up, it almost tastes like a homebrew that gets that bad cider off flavor that is not anticipated. I do not think they used the same hope schedule in DFH61 as they did in DFH60 since they taste NOTHING alike!!

Keep your other bottles and maybe they will age well? :) :) :)

Great rant Nargan! I hate Rogue! I always knew that in the past, but didn't know why, and you helped me to understand it :mug:

Totally agree, hate Rogue as well. Not even a fan of Dead Guy. Wouldn't kick it out of bed, but that's only because it's a beer and beer is God. Also I was very drunk when I first had it but was not impressed enough to pay 5 dollars more for a sixer with all the other lovely beers out there for less money.

Alright, just popped one of my DFH 61 and even with very low expectations from your post, i have to say it is not terrible, but in no way good. It has almost no hop flavor or aroma at all for an IPA. It also has a very dry tannin flavor which I would assume comes from the wine. Even though it has that dry taste, it also have a sweet aroma like unfermented grape juice. I guess that is what happens when you dont dry out a red wine like it is supposed to be (I would think a Syrah would be below 1.000 when it is all said and done, but this surely isn't).

If I had to sum it up, it almost tastes like a homebrew that gets that bad cider off flavor that is not anticipated. I do not think they used the same hope schedule in DFH61 as they did in DFH60 since they taste NOTHING alike!!

Keep your other bottles and maybe they will age well? :) :) :)

Rats...I really wanted you to love it. I really don't think I'll drink another. They don't even make a good one more beer at the end of the night beer.

Totally agree, hate Rogue as well. Not even a fan of Dead Guy. Wouldn't kick it out of bed, but that's only because it's a beer and beer is God. Also I was very drunk when I first had it but was not impressed enough to pay 5 dollars more for a sixer with all the other lovely beers out there for less money.

I always felt like I was missing something when everyone would talk about Rogue. I just could never really get into their beers. Not because I hated them or anything, just didn't make me want to get more.

Rats...I really wanted you to love it. I really don't think I'll drink another. They don't even make a good one more beer at the end of the night beer.

You are totally right about that. What I usually do with the beers I am unsure of or want to try is buy a few and then when my brewing buddies come around we taste test them all in little 4 ounce glasses. That way you dont have to choke down terrible beers since there isn't much and you get to at least try stuff.

You are totally right about that. What I usually do with the beers I am unsure of or want to try is buy a few and then when my brewing buddies come around we taste test them all in little 4 ounce glasses. That way you dont have to choke down terrible beers since there isn't much and you get to at least try stuff.

Note to self: meet more brewing buddies to share in the misery of bad commerical beers.

Since we're just legal here in Alabama and I haven't been brewing that long I haven't had the chance to meet many brewers. Hopefully that will soon be changing.

I don't know... They tend to mostly get it "meh" IMO. The fact that the CEO is an ex-Nike exec and his son is an ex-Adidas exec probably explains why they're obsessed with marketing and not quality of the product. The first time I noticed it was when I visited their Portland brewpub and was wondering why they felt the need to make a beer based on a reality TV show about crab fishing (Cap'n Sig's Northwestern Ale). Then, the stories of their employee abuse, union busting, gross neglect of the brewery's sanitary conditions, etc came out, I pretty much just wrote them off. Why pay $2-5 more per 6-pack for something mediocre that also then helps support a company that openly shames and insults its workers and brags in its newsletters regarding how many people they've fired? And before people jump in saying that that type of info is just from an angry ex-employee, there are just far too many employees and ex-employees with corroborating stories for it to be made up. They've also been in the news for some of their antics.

And then the Voodoo beer happened. Collaborate to make a gimmick beer with a gimmicky, tourist-trap donut shop that you sell for $13 a bottle. Terrible reviews galore. So they made another gimmick beer with them: the peanut butter, chocolate, banana ale. Terrible reviews galore. The nail in the coffin was the Powell's Book Store collaboration. Yes, a book store beer. Since it's also such a huge tourist trap, surely this marketing gimmick will make lots of money for them, right? But how do you make a book store based beer? They brewed the beer with pages torn from Moby Dick in the kettle and called it White Whale. Will that make it better? No. Will that add to the quality in any way? No. It's another stupid marketing gimmick designed as a seriously cheap money grab and it's insulting. They even grab a bit of your money when they tell you they'll give you a free taster of their beer. Plus, they make Beard Beer. Nuff said.

There are too many very good breweries in this area for me to want to give my money to Rogue.

Wow.
Thanks for that info, I'll definitely not buy Rogue again. Not gonna miss them anyway.

This rant makes me respect Sierra Nevada and Ken Grossman all the more.

Shiner Hefe.

That was like no hefe I've ever drank. Smelled like dirty socks, and tasted...well, the taste is hard to define. Kind of like cheap ham that is past it's prime, minus the salt.

All in all, not a good beer. I gave most of the six pack away.

:(

Shiner Hefe.

That was like no hefe I've ever drank. Smelled like dirty socks, and tasted...well, the taste is hard to define. Kind of like cheap ham that is past it's prime, minus the salt.

All in all, not a good beer. I gave most of the six pack away.

:(

Was it expired?
Hefeweizen doesn't age well. All its flavor is yeast-derived and when the yeast goes down, well...

what alesmith beers?

IPA, Wee Heavy, Horny Devil and Speedway Stout. I honestly don't remember much about the IPA but the other 3 were way too sweet. I actually liked the taste of Speedway Stout but couldn't drink more than a few oz. The other 2 were just awful.

I really like Speadway stout great mouth feel & very complex for not being barrel aged.

I was lucky enough to have this a while back

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/396/84077

one of the top 5 stouts I've ever had.

even just the normal speedway has a 98

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/396/3833

So I would say you are in the minority

I'm guessing you just don't like big sweet beers. Don't ever try darklord if you think those beers are to sweet.

I really like Speadway stout great mouth feel & very complex for not being barrel aged.

I was lucky enough to have this a while back

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/396/84077

one of the top 5 stouts I've ever had

even just the normal speedway has a 98

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/396/3833

So I would say you are in the minority

I don't doubt that people love it. I also can't stand Choklat or Creme Brulee from Southern Tier. Some beers are just too sweet. I probably should give Speedway another shot though. I seem to remember it having a really nice coffee flavor.

IPA, Wee Heavy, Horny Devil and Speedway Stout. I honestly don't remember much about the IPA but the other 3 were way too sweet. I actually liked the taste of Speedway Stout but couldn't drink more than a few oz. The other 2 were just awful.

Hey stick to your opinion if that's how you feel. The new hollands dragon's milk was rated in the high 90s and tasted like someone put a half ounce of whiskey in the beer. No longer had a beer taste to me just a weird whiskey taste (I love scotch just not with beer).

Nomad said:
You won't get disagreement from me. I think one common theme from this thread is most people want beer to taste like beer-- not like fruit, not like donuts, not like herbs, but like beer. Dragon's Milk, IMHO, may have started as a beer, but once it hit the barrel became something else.

I make a clone of DM that has been preferred over the original. I use bourbon soaked oak chips and it seems to have a smoother flavor

masskrug said:
I saw these so reasonably priced and thought I would give them a try. Horrible. They taste like the floor of a frat house on Sunday, dry hopped with tumbleweeds.

Are those the ones that come in the nice swing tops?

Had a Terrapin last night, the peach farm. It wasn't the worst, but pretty bad. Watery, no yeast flavor, fizzy, and generic chalky peach flavor. If I didn't know I'd have thought it was an InBev product.

I see a lot of people here don't like Sam Adams, which I certainly don't mind downing a few here and there. But try this: Try a Sam Winter (12 oz) and mix with a shot of vanilla stoli. Instant holiday party in your mouth. I'm pretty sure that the stoli would mix great with any other holiday style beer, with all of the spices that go into the beer mixed with the vanilla. Definitely worth a shot. I love em. And by the 2nd one, the legs are already a bit wobbly.

As for my undesirable beer, Summer Shandy. Don't call it beer, because it certainly isn't.

dizzle said:
Prima Pils by Victory. I always try to make it through a beer even if I don't like it, but this one I had to dump.

Interesting....prima pils is one of my favorite beers

As for my undesirable beer, Summer Shandy. Don't call it beer, because it certainly isn't.

I was looking at it in the store yesterday wondering if that would be any good at all. It's supposed to be like a Bavarian Radler, but I just knew that it wouldn't be right. Looks like most people hated it on ratebeer.

gometz said:
I was looking at it in the store yesterday wondering if that would be any good at all. It's supposed to be like a Bavarian Radler, but I just knew that it wouldn't be right. Looks like most people hated it on ratebeer.

You are better off mixing your own beer and lemonade.

Hey stick to your opinion if that's how you feel. The new hollands dragon's milk was rated in the high 90s and tasted like someone put a half ounce of whiskey in the beer. No longer had a beer taste to me just a weird whiskey taste (I love scotch just not with beer).

Well its not rated in the high 90's now.

That's not an opinion

Speedway stout gets an 98 that's a high percentage of opinions

Oh my god, El Cedo by Jester King - 8.0% ABV farmhouse ale dry-hopped with Citra hops, aged with Spanish Cedar spirals and bottle conditioned with Brettanomyces yeast

Got in a trade and glad I tried it, but could not get it out of my mouth fast enough.

View attachment El-Cedo.bmp

jjadamsfb said:
Oh my god, El Cedo by Jester King - 8.0% ABV farmhouse ale dry-hopped with Citra hops, aged with Spanish Cedar spirals and bottle conditioned with Brettanomyces yeast

Got in a trade and glad I tried it, but could not get it out of my mouth fast enough.

Do you not like brett beers? I thought that El Cedro was pretty good and had a good funky brett character to it.

WesleyS said:
Do you not like brett beers? I thought that El Cedro was pretty good and had a good funky brett character to it.

It was actually the cedar that was way too much. I have not had a lot of bret beers so that taste is newer to me, but I thought I was drinking a plank.

jjadamsfb said:
It was actually the cedar that was way too much. I have not had a lot of bret beers so that taste is newer to me, but I thought I was drinking a plank.

I don't like the Spanish cedar beers either. Only one I've had that I liked was boulevard seeyoulator, but it was a few years old and the wood flavor was very mild. The green flash / cigar city collab with Spanish cedar sticks out as one I didn't like.

You are better off mixing your own beer and lemonade.

The thing that I don't know if they realize is that it is not lemonade like you would make at home. A Radler is made with Limo, which is like a more natural tasting version of Sprite.

thats-what-she-said.jpg

Back