1st yeast washing attempt.....FAIL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlatenight

Reaction score
I washed the yeast cake from my Belgian Tripel, which had a fast and furious fermentation and was in primary for 3 weeks. I followed Bernie Brewer's guide and repitched into my House Amber I brewed this weekend. After 24hrs of no activity at all, I tried making a starter with some of the left over washed yeast in my fridge. It's been about 15 hrs and the starter on my counter shows no signs of life. I'm going to the LHBS to buy fresh yeast to pitch to save my Amber, but I'm curious: could sitting in primary in 10%abv beer for 3 weeks kill the yeast? What are some other reasons I see NO signs of life in that yeast what so ever? Thanks!

10% prolly killed most of it, or left it very very weak. the starter may work, it will just need longer then 15 hours though.
from what i've read, if it's above 8-9% or so, you may need new yeast.

It was a "brewer's best" kit and they supplied dried Nottingham yeast (for some reason). I didn't have anything else so I went with it.

Give it 72 Hours before deciding the yeast is dead. Its likely weak and needs more time, next time try pitching directly onto the yeast cake, or making a decent size starter with your washed yeast.

I think Nottingham is good up to about 12% alcohol content.
If you didn't make a started with washed yeast you can expect long lag times.
Even if you don't have a stir plate you can make a starter.
If you aren't seeing any bubble activity in the airlock I doubt the oxygen has gone anywhere.

Thanks aubiecat. breaking news: I just got home from work and the starter isn't doing anything, but my primary is bubbling away. I nice steady bubble...nothing crazy, but if it keeps up I should be good to go. Thanks all!

What kind of operation makes a Belgian Tripel kit and stocks it with Nottingham yeast?

I bet they figure, if your using an extract kit, you're not experienced enough to know what a difference a Belgian yeast would make.

Back