Starch conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cranios

Reaction score
Hi, I did my first all-grain brew in 25 years this last weekend. It went well ultimately, but it took almost 90 minutes for starch conversion to fully complete (per the iodine test). I used a mixture of 3 gallons Primo brand drinking water, 3 gallons distilled, and one gallon of RO water. Mash was 10 lbs 2-row base malt (Briess) and 1 lb. Crystal 60L. So I assume the pH iwas pretty close on the water to 7 but I don't know that, and therefore the water itself shouldn't have impeded the conversion give the natural acidity of mash. I kept it right at 155 F the whole time. Is there something else that could have caused such a slow conversion?
Thanks for any input.

Hi, I did my first all-grain brew in 25 years this last weekend. It went well ultimately, but it took almost 90 minutes for starch conversion to fully complete (per the iodine test). I used a mixture of 3 gallons Primo brand drinking water, 3 gallons distilled, and one gallon of RO water. Mash was 10 lbs 2-row base malt (Briess) and 1 lb. Crystal 60L. So I assume the pH iwas pretty close on the water to 7 but I don't know that, and therefore the water itself shouldn't have impeded the conversion give the natural acidity of mash. I kept it right at 155 F the whole time. Is there something else that could have caused such a slow conversion?
Thanks for any input.

I've never hit full conversion at 60 minutes myself (although others have said they do). Therefore I always mash 90 minutes.

MC

Back