Spent grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shmohel

Reaction score
What do you guys do with your spent grains? I always have put them aside and just think to myself that I could do something productive with them. I know most commercial breweries send their grains to be used as cattle feed. But, what do you guys do?

Any recipes for any sorts of food to make with them?

Hate to say it but I just dump mine in the garbage. I'm only using small amounts of specialty grains with my extract recipes but I can't see doing anything much else with them unless I had a compost pile going.

2nd Street Brewery said:
Hate to say it but I just dump mine in the garbage. I'm only using small amounts of specialty grains with my extract recipes but I can't see doing anything much else with them unless I had a compost pile going.

Yea, I ahve been dumping them too. But, it seems like there ought to be something cool to make with them. Perhaps bread?

Found this recipe if anyone is interested:

Steve Morrisey’s Spent Grain Bread

When you make all grain beer save the grain. Use sandwich size zip lock bags.
Fill up 3 or 4 bags. Then freeze them until you bake bread.

2 cups Spent Grain (put the grain in a coffee grinder or food processor and grind them up)
4 cups Bread Flour
1 cup Wheat Flour
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 cup of Sugar
1/2 Stick of Butter
1 Egg (Beaten)
2 cup of Warm Water
1 TBS. of Olive Oil
1/2 cup of warm water & 2 1/4 tsp. Bread yeast

Mix together and knead with 1 more cup of flour.
Let rise and flatten down divide into 2 or 4 pc. Depends on how big you want your bread loafs or roll little balls to make rolls. Freeze the rest and take out when you want more bread.
Let it rise again and bake.
Bake at 350F for 35 min. for loafs or 10-12 min. for rolls.
Use corn meal on cookie sheet so loaf does not stick to pan.
1 tsp. Olive Oil to brush the top of the bread when it comes out of the oven.

If you have any questions ask Steve Morrisey at: [email protected]

That depends largely on who's wearing the pants at the time. Iguess I bring the dough home and Mrs. M helps us to hold on to it. I'd be down at the HBS getting rid of it quite often if I could. She reminds me of the realities of bills, food,lights,etc.. A good girl will do that. One of the cool things about her is that she doesn't SHOP like some women do. Hell, I bet I've got more pairs of shoes than she does. When I met her, she didn't have any. :D

sudsmonkey said:
That depends largely on who's wearing the pants at the time. Iguess I bring the dough home and Mrs. M helps us to hold on to it. I'd be down at the HBS getting rid of it quite often if I could. She reminds me of the realities of bills, food,lights,etc.. A good girl will do that. One of the cool things about her is that she doesn't SHOP like some women do. Hell, I bet I've got more pairs of shoes than she does. When I met her, she didn't have any. :D
I'm not asking about the money, I'm asking about the bread...you know, "Steve Morrisey’s Spent Grain Bread" in the post that you just referred to? :D

Oh, that bread ! Sorry man, I'm dead sober tonight and not thinking as clear as I would otherwise. Last time we had homemade bread, she made it. I'm still trying to figure out the twist-tie on this loaf of Wonder bread. A baker, I ain't.
Went to a damn fine pig picking yesterday at Uncle Jimmy's . He cooked a 75 lb. hog with all the fixins, including a more than generous amount of his homemade peach wine. Feel like I've got Natural Causes today. People die from that, you know ? Still had to work. The Cable Gods don't believe in time off for any reason other than holidays, and then, maybe. For the hard day I had today, it was worth it all for last night. Me last night ---> :drunk:

Shmohel said:
What do you guys do with your spent grains?
I have a buddy with horses. It took me a while to figure out that if I bring my spent grains when I visit, they'll leave my beer alone.

Wild

I found this one EXTREMELY interesting:

Pizza & Beer dog bones:
2 cups wet spent grain
1/2 cup pizza/pasta sauce
4 cloves garlic, crushed (I added 6, but Finn is a garlic lover)
1 egg
2 cups of any combination of whole wheat flour, corn flour, barley flour,
soy flour, or regular flour

Mix into a firm dough (I had to add a bit more flour to get it firm).
Roll out on a greased cookie sheet to about 1/4 - 1/8" thick. Cut into
wedges, or strips, or (if you're really creative) bones. Bake at 350F
for 30 minutes. Turn off heat, and leave in the oven over night to get
hard.

I tried a couple of spoonfulls of my grains last time. They tasted like something that Orphans ate in the 1800's.

They just remind me of Grapenuts...

I thought about brewing with grapenuts once, and then I did the math on how much I would need.. something like 8lbs, which is 16 boxes @ $3.50/ea..

nahh, not only is it pricey, but it would probably taste like crap because all of the unfermentable elements would impart very undesireable off flavors.

yes, grapenuts! i made that comment to my wife the other night and she told me I was crazy.

at least I know that if she is right, i'm not the only crazy person.

-walker

ORRELSE said:
I found this one EXTREMELY interesting:

Pizza & Beer dog bones:
2 cups wet spent grain
1/2 cup pizza/pasta sauce
4 cloves garlic, crushed (I added 6, but Finn is a garlic lover)
1 egg
2 cups of any combination of whole wheat flour, corn flour, barley flour,
soy flour, or regular flour

Mix into a firm dough (I had to add a bit more flour to get it firm).
Roll out on a greased cookie sheet to about 1/4 - 1/8" thick. Cut into
wedges, or strips, or (if you're really creative) bones. Bake at 350F
for 30 minutes. Turn off heat, and leave in the oven over night to get
hard.

Hell my dog laps em up wet,Last time I breewed I just tossed em out behind the shed and I'll be dammed my dog was eaten those grains. :) Betcha dogs love the stuff..

Porter fan said:
Hell my dog laps em up wet,Last time I breewed I just tossed em out behind the shed and I'll be dammed my dog was eaten those grains. :) Betcha dogs love the stuff..

Well, I can't let my dog do that cause I mash-hop all of my batches. Hops kills doggies I hear. :eek:

Kidding on the mash-hopping--inside joke....

ORRELSE said:
Pizza & Beer dog bones:

These are in the oven as we speak.
Really easy to make. I put in a half cup of beef broth and a half cup of pizza sauce, and made a double batch. I gave my dog a taste of the dough and he sat by me for the rest of the time I was making them. He knew they were for him. ;)

Back