Cider secondary fermenter head space?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastCake

Reaction score
Long time, but I'm back at it... Ok I did 2 1 gallon batches of cider this time. I know this isnt the cider thread but it should reach enough people with knowledge of secondary fermentations/racking. first off here are my recipe's with gravity readings.

recipe #1

-1 gallon cider (pasturized & preserved with .01% potassium sorbate) with 1/3 of the gallon cut with simply apple squeezed 100% apple juice/cider to reduce potassium sorbate content.
-1 pound 2 ounces of honey(clover)
-Lalvin EC1118 champagne yeast.
-1 tsp. yeast nutrient
-2 campden tablets to attempt to mess with potassium sorbate even more lol
gravity: 1.070

Recipe #2
1 gallon of simply apple pressed 100% apple juice
8 oz. brown sugar
8 oz. pure bee honey
2 oz. organic raisins
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 campden tablet
Lalvin EC1118 champagne yeast
1 tsp. yeast nutrient
gravity: 1.080

Ok, let them both ferment for 7 days 12 hours. I wanted to do them both the same basically im going to perfect a cider eventually by trying 1 gal. batches first. I just racked these to secondarys but the problem is with all the fermentation ingredients etc. I lost alot of product. these 1 gallon jugs are now filled up maybe 3/4 of the way but def. way more than half.... right at or just below where the jug curves up at the top. My worries: spoilage by oxidation. Recipe #1 the pure clover honey recipe believe it or not, even with the sorbate is still sllllowwlly bubbling. So I'm a little less concerned about it. (It took a little longer to fire off but has been strong and steady after day 1). Recipe #2 took off within seriously like 10 min. of pitching... But has little or no bubbling going on (harder to catch the bubble with the non s type air lock on it (using the cylindrical one on this batch).

Should I be worried about spoilage? Should I add some no preserved cider to both? Also the 1/2 tsp cinnamon I added at primary to batch #2 is non tasteable. can I open it back up and throw another 1/2 tsp. in now? Let me know what you all think guys they both tasted pretty good in their own ways this morning & I dont wanna ruin them!

... While racking this morning in a zombie like state I forgot to grab another 2 gravity readings so I cant be sure that the one batch isnt totally fermented out. I just thought to myself meh, I'll get a reading before I bottle. Wooops

here's a pic to better illustrate what I'm working with... I've decided not to worry about any more cinnamon as I can hit the next batch with a little more. Can you guess wich recipe is in wich jug??? lol

first2ciders.jpg

My guess is that recipe #2 with brown sugar is in the bottle on the right!

If even the slightest bit of bubbling is going on then CO2 is being released and pushing out the O2. I wouldn't worry about oxidation on either of them. I'm a noob still, I'm sure others with more experience than I will chime in.

well then whats on the right of that smart guy! lol But seriously trying to figure out if I'll be good to just let these chill a month... Guess im not too worried.

Looks like BEEEEEER! ;)

I just started an apple wine yesterday as well. From the reading around the threads I've done. Most people enjoy the taste better the longer it ages. I'm not planning to bottle for about a month. RDWHAHB :)

yeah, im good... I've got pressure in there. I had to watch it a while but its good. So I figured what the hell and threw in another 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to the fermenter too! lol Gonna wait one month then bottle. After tasting this morning the honey recipe sorta tasted like a wine/champagne wich im thinking will be spot on carbonated. The other was closer to cider, but im thinking next go round I will be trying some lager yeast. And as for the carboy to the right its wineberry/raspberry wine perkolating like none other.

Latest posts

Back