American Light Lager, BUT with am ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarwoodBrewer

Reaction score
What would this do to the flavor of the beer. This beer is for my neighbor's wife who only likes Corona or Miller Lite. I really don't have the time or energy to do a lager right now. What if I used an ale yeast or used a lager yeast at 70 degrees. What will this do to the brew?

Don't do it. This will be a big waste of time. If someone likes Corona Light or Miller Lite or any other light beer, do not attempt to make a beer that will please them. It won't ("ew, it's cloudy, and I don't like the color...").

Buy them the beer they like and brew for yourself.

I think that the best you can do is use a light lager recipe and use Kolsch yeast. Granted it would need to be fermented at 64˚- 66˚. At 70˚ any ale yeast is going to produce esters that your friend would be able to taste.

Yea, won't be lager clean. Still, use a lager yeast and get it as cold as you possibly can. It'll be alright. Replace 30% of the grist with minute rice (if you are a partial masher, just use light DME and rice syrup I guess).

Go ahead and use S-23 dry, which finishes very dry and clean (too much for me) and will do a nice job for you.

BTW, I'm not doubting you in particular, but every time someone posts about a light lager it is always for a friend. Funny.

Is 45 degrees too cold for lager yeast? What is the coldest a lager can ferment.

That's on the low side, but I've accidentally dialed my freezer down too low and it did begin fermenting at that temp. I think closer to 50 is better tho. Check out the yeast manuf. for temp range, they have done a tremendous amount of testing (unlike the anecdotal info here) to prove out each strain. Go with their info.

I'm assuming this is as warm as your refrigerator gets. Since your fermenting beer will be 5-10F warmer than that when it's fermenting, you'd be good.

it will be a cream ale. nothing wrong there, those can be nice beers that are good gateways for the BMC crowd.

Latest posts

Back