Raccoon Deterrent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazier

Reaction score
So I got three rhizomes; mixed up a good rich mixture of composted manure, topsoil, and potting mix; and planted the 'zomes a few inches deep.

The raccoons can't keep their paws out of this stuff. I come out in the morning, find dirt all over, a big mess.

I tried putting bricks on top of the dirt - they toss them aside or dig under them. Whatever they are looking for, it isn't there, they really aren't interested in the rhizomes. But they keep looking anyway.

Short of standing guard with a shotgun all night (which would require not only giving up my sleep, but buying a gun), anyone have a good trick for keeping the critters out?

We live in the woods btw, I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle.

HUMAN URINE

Seriously, pee on your rhizomes and if it rains, pee on them again.

I had a friend who used to grow plants in the woods (you know the stuff he couldn't put in his garden) urine would keep the animals from digging and eating his crops.

The two deterants I've heard of that work: 1) the peeing thing. You also have to do it every night for the first 2 weeks from what I've heard. 2). Get an outside dog.

i heard capsicum (the stuff that makes chilies hot) will keep them varment out your grow crop

HUMAN URINE

Seriously, pee on your rhizomes and if it rains, pee on them again.

I had a friend who used to grow plants in the woods (you know the stuff he couldn't put in his garden) urine would keep the animals from digging and eating his crops.

+1 for urine. Whether human, or some other predator, will work. Definitely cheaper and easier going with human urine though.

As for plant's that can't be grown in a garden, it's not illegal unless you get caught.

The two deterants I've heard of that work: 1) the peeing thing. You also have to do it every night for the first 2 weeks from what I've heard. 2). Get an outside dog.

No, not every day but what the hell, it's free right?

I went on a deer hunt with a guy who would stop and pee on a trespasser's apple pile every time he walked by. The apples would stay until it rained then they would disappear. So it works on deer too!

Or cover the area with 1" chicken wire and stake it down. The hops will grow through it without any problem.

To stop the deer from eating young bushes I would hang Irish Spring soap from them. It worked, I don't know if it will work on raccoons. I have the same issue with the raccoons but last year they destroyed my corn crop. This is my first year with hops, well if they come up, it has been three weeks and nothing has come out of the ground yet. I'm thinking about electrifying the fence around the garden this year.

All you need is one rocking chair, a case or two of homebrew and a shotgun of some sorts with a flash light taped to the barrel.

Latest posts

Back