Is it to early to start Kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildrebel

Reaction score
I started brewing beer about a month ago and only have three partial boil extracts under my belt. I have a mini refrigerator and Im thinking about converting it to a kegerator. Is it too early to start kegging my beer? Should I wait till later on down the road when I move into AG?

Start kegging whenever you feel like you are likely to stay with the hobby long enough to warrant the cost of buying the kegs, co2 tank, regulator, etc.

I started out kegging. I didn't bottle a batch till almost a year after I started brewing.

Absolutely not too early. I've never bottled a batch of beer. Started with5L minikegs. Tossed them after the tap broke the third time. Bought a fridge and converted it to a kegger.

The sooner you start, the better.
You will enjoy the beer a lot more when it's coming out of a keg and you didn't have to deal with all those bottles.

I had a kegerator when I started brewing a year ago. Converted it to handle homebrew and haven't bottled one batch either. (Have made the we no need no stinking beer gun to bottle some to take to parties and such.)

So easy. Right from the primary after 2-3 weeks, into the keg, blast of co2 to purge the air, age. When I'm in need of a keg, into fridge. What could be more simpler?

Yes it is too early, you need to have at least one year of brewing experience to be able to handle the complexities of a kegging system...ha, just kidding! Bottling is for the birds, midwest supplies has what is in my opinion the best kegging system. 200 bucks gets you 2 kegs, a new tank, a dual regulator, and all the fittings and picnic taps.

Keg it, drink it, stop waiting for the corn sugar to do its thing!

Kegging and AG are 2 different option packages. There are excellent brewers who never keg. There are excellent brewers who never go AG.

Personally I find that kegging lets me share at larger parties easier because I don't have to chase down all my flip top bottles all night and i can still grab a few bottles and take a 6 pack to a party by bottling a few.

it is a very large part of a brewer's expenses.. not to scare you but i have over $1k in equipment. id say from memory, ~$700 on the kegging side. (15 ball lock, 3 perlicks, ss shanks/tail pieces/flanges, etc.) still need to get a freezer and temp controller. everything i have is stainless or glass except my imersion chiller. spent 3 years gathering it up. now have about 30 gallons solo (extract). now need to make the all grain equip..... what a hobby! i could have had a team losi 1/8 scale nitro r/c car instead of a brewery. oh wait i have two of them. and both are equally fun.

The cost widely varies depending on your level of production, what kind of delivery you have in mind and how good a scrounger you are.

I've never bottled a batch either and went right to kegging. I just didn't want to store cases and cases of bottles. A 5 gallon keg takes up a lot less room than 2+ cases of bottles.

You can build a cheap beer gun, if you to want to bottle from the keg.

Just watch craigslist, can normally get some decent deals on equipment.

I think kegging & extract go together well. Whenever I think I have an epic all grain on hand, I think bottling will do it well.

I do like the ease and convenience of having good extract recipes I can rotate on keg.

Never too early to start kegging. I bottled my first couple of batches, but it got old quick. Luckily (for me anyway) a guy I work with was getting rid of his kegging equipment because his wife didn't like the way brewing made the house smell.
SO...I got a keg, tank, and regulator for FREE! Keep your eyes open for a deal on for a cheap fridge on Craigslist, I found one for $20.
I still bottle about a six-pack per batch just to pass out to guys at the station, but you'll never regret making the kegging leap!

I never bottled....got too much of that helping my old man out when I was a kid. For me it was all kegging from the get-go.

Yes, it will get expensive in the end, like all hobbies, but it starts decently cheap. I was out 200 for the 2 keg, dual body reg keg kit, 50 bucks for an old fridge....and that's it.

I have since spent more money getting 6 more kegs and more hose and fittings to expand my kegerator from a 2 keg to a 5 keg system. I am now set until I decide to pony up for Perlick taps, at which point the CO2 will probably go outside of the fridge so I can fit 6 kegs.

IMO, you don't need a temp controller with a keg fridge, just throw a thermometer in there so you can adjust the built in thermostat...I'm glad I didn't spring for that one luxury.

I started brewing three months ago. I think 11 batches so far. I finally got 2 five gallon kegs and my kegerator going. Friday I will fill my two kegs.
I am still going to bottle though. I like having more then 2 beers to choose from at once.
Saturday I will bottle my Double Chocolate Stout. Sucks I will have to wait three more weeks for bottle conditioning as I will force carb the first 2 kegs!

It's never too early, so long as your priorities are straight. Kegging makes drinking beer easier, but does it make better beer? I'd say that a huge thing a lot of homebrewers are lacking is a means of controlling fermentation temps. I'd rather use that money and build a fermentation box attached to a mini fridge than start kegging. Once you're confident you're making good beer that meets your expectations, then get into kegging so you can always have some of it on tap!

I started kegging after 3 batches. Thats it. And I probably did those over the course of a month and a half. It saved my brewing career! My beer has improved (sooooo much) since then, and I eventually moved to all-grain. Second best move of my brewing career.

For me it actually makes it easier to condition a beer as I'm not tempted to "pop one open, just to check.....hey! that's pretty good! Another can't hurt..." I have a chocolate stout on tap that I conditioned 9 months, but then again I do have 20 kegs so I never really run short on space.

I am someone who just got into kegging and the whole setup costed me over $1000. Your setup might be cheaper if you get a used fridge locally and convert it yourself. Here is the breakdown of my equipment:

Brand new SS kegerator that can hold 3 kegs + new 5# co2 tank ($500), upgrade to SS dual tower ($40), upgrade to better regulator ($110), shipping ($100) - ~$750

4 rebuilt cornies from CHI + shipping - ~$250

2 used perlicks - $50

Misc items - $50

Not having to clean / sanitize tons of bottles - Priceless :)

I recently returned to brewing/winemaking and I bought kegging equipment before I bought the kit to brew. It is significantly easier on all counts.
Homebrew_rocks_1.gif

Back