Special Roast substitution (Punkin' Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno_eNVy

Reaction score
Hey all, I am getting close to picking up all the ingredients for my Birthday Brew Bash and I ran into a bit of a snag.

The recipe I'm looking at for a Punkin' Ale (supposedly a DFH clone) calls for Special Roast, which LHBS does not carry. The closest thing I can see to a substitute is Victory; both are aromatic, biscuity and toasty.... but Victory adds some nuttiness. Will that end up being a problem? If so, what's a better choice?

Here's the recipe:

10# Pale 2-row
1# Crystal 60L
1# Special Roast
1oz Hallertauer (60 min)
1oz Hallertauer (5 min)
US-05 Dry Yeast

Thanks!

Victory is a little lighter than Special Roast. You might try finding a time/temp chart to roast your own. If you can't find anything, Victory will probably do the trick, it just won't give you the color.

Victory is a little lighter than Special Roast. You might try finding a time/temp chart to roast your own. If you can't find anything, Victory will probably do the trick, it just won't give you the color.

Yeah, Special Roast is 50L and Victory is 28L. Meh, not necessarily trying to clone it perfectly. I was just worried that the nuttiness would come forward too much and cover up other important flavors like the pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices.

I'd love to roast my own too but I don't have a crusher consider LHBS does it for me. OH WELL! :mug:

EDIT: Derp! I'm dumb.... simple solution: replace Special Roast with Victory and replace Crystal 60L with Crystal 80L... same color!

Back