Faucet Stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iglehart

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this problem or know what might cause it?

I made a small keggerator and when I don't drink a glass for 3 or 4 days, the faucet gets stuck. I thought maybe it froze up, but that is not it.

Any clues?

That's typical of rear sealing faucets. I had that happen once with my old faucets and I bleed off the pressure on the keg, unhooked the liquid post line of the stuck faucet, then ran hot water followed by sanitizer from an extra keg. Reattach and re-pressurize the keg of beer.

Then I bought some Perlicks.

You can also disconnect the keg (beer side is all that is necessary to disconnect) and then use your tap wrench to remove the tap from the shank. Disassemble the tap and soaking the parts in hot PBW or Oxy, followed by a rinse and some sanitizer. Should after ressembly behave for a while afterwards. To keep this from happening as much you can try using some of the tap condoms like these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KLYV0E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. This will keep the beer in the faucet from drying out as much. You can also use the tap plugs too if you want.

It is all due to the beer drying out in the tap. Clean it off or keep it from drying and you should be good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also disconnect the keg (beer side is all that is necessary to disconnect) and then use your tap wrench to remove the tap from the shank. Disassemble the tap and soaking the parts in hot PBW or Oxy, followed by a rinse and some sanitizer. Should after ressembly behave for a while afterwards. To keep this from happening as much you can try using some of the tap condoms like these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KLYV0E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. This will keep the beer in the faucet from drying out as much. You can also use the tap plugs too if you want.

It is all due to the beer drying out in the tap. Clean it off or keep it from drying and you should be good to go.

If you are talking about these

31Pe8bwe2hL.jpg

Then I wouldn't bother. I have these and, from my experience, my old taps would still stick. I would get the tap condoms between the two. If I'm right, I think you can fill the condoms with Star san and then just squeeze them to "flush" the insides of the tap.

But I don't think nothing is going to top drinking more beer. :cross:

Last edited by a moderator:
Faucets that stick are also prone to leakage.

Get front sealing Perlicks. Problem solved.

If you are talking about these

31Pe8bwe2hL.jpg

Then I wouldn't bother. I have these and, from my experience, my old taps would still stick. I would get the tap condoms between the two. If I'm right, I think you can fill the condoms with Star san and then just squeeze them to "flush" the insides of the tap.

But I don't think nothing is going to top drinking more beer. :cross:

I agree, the condom ones are better. I bought a couple after the plastic disc with a tap filling pool noodle style plug got funky smelling. Then I realized that my Perliks do not need them.

I agree, the condom ones are better. I bought a couple after the plastic disc with a tap filling pool noodle style plug got funky smelling. Then I realized that my Perliks do not need them.

Funky smelling eh? Now you got me worried. I still use mine with my Perlicks, just to keep the ends closed off. I may use the tap condoms so they are fully covered if they are that much better.

Well those last four drops that the perls always drip soaked into the foam and would turn to vinegar. They were the ones that looked like this only in blue pool noodle color.

FFFL.jpg

Since I do not really have much of a fruit fly problem in here and all, and my keezer is inside the house I just removed them. The tap condoms are nice, though people always forgot to put them back on, or take them off and then would shoot them into their glass. It was even weirder when I had that Sierra Nevada tap on one of them (Perlick 525SS) and it decided to leak a little and I would hear the thing fire off. With the tap handle on there was the only way I got the leakage so I just put the cheapo plastic ones back on and just went without the plugs.

Whatever works for you.

What are Perlicks?

Forward sealing faucets. Their O rings float so they seal better, drip less, and don't stick as badly. They arent making 525SS anymore and they have a new model out. There are threads about them. I like my 525s, had a touch of a leak on one with a tall tap handle though.

Latest posts

Back