Is secondary ferm needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have read alot of post saying that secondary is not really needed. I thought the yeast would give an off taste to the brew if left in to long past fermentation?

AFAIK, the yeast might give an off taste if the beer is left for a really really really long time on top of the yeast cake (we're talking months).

But most people use the "secondary" as a bright tank.

I have read alot of post saying that secondary is not really needed. I thought the yeast would give an off taste to the brew if left in to long past fermentation?

If you've read the posts, then why do we need to answer again? This is the most discussed topic on here, it has been for 5 years. Why do we need to repeat the discussion again for you?

This is the most thorough and ongoing thread about it...All your questions are taken care of here-The hows, they why's, the whens, and what the nay sayers STILL say after all these years that we have countered or just ignored...the who schmere, the whole shebang all in one handy dandy thread......;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/

At this point either read what's already here or do it and figure it out for yourself. But do you really want to further beat this horse to death?

I mean it's been beaten, resurected, beaten, zombified and beaten again, I think you can find enough info on here already....even as current as a couple hours ago in the above thread.

How about a "beating a dead horse" smiley? Something like this:
deadhorse.gif

PVF it looks like two of them are eating the horse....maybe they're the zombies afterall. ;)

Yeah I hadn't noticed that. Hilarious. I think the top one is supposed to be laughing after it strikes the horse, but it kind of looks like it is chewing.

Well I wish I had the time to dedicate to reading every post on here about secondary fermentation. Just looking for some answers and you could have pointed me in the right direction with out being a dbag about it.

Well I wish I had the time to dedicate to reading every post on here about secondary fermentation. Just looking for some answers and you could have pointed me in the right direction with out being a dbag about it.

I was just thinking the other day about how friendly HBT is in this regard. On most other boards I've seen, especially those dedicated to a narrow endeavor, the regulars are pretty surly. If you ask a question that you could answer yourself with a quick search, you will get flamed mercilessly.

Here, by contrast, there are at least dozens of regulars who answer the same questions day in and day out, even though almost every answer is right here for everyone to find. Seriously - original, useful threads are rare.

HBT could be a "good ol' boys" sort of place where seasoned brewers congratulate themselves and make fun of newbies. But it's not. It is quite welcoming and tolerant. That's why I contribute money when I could get all the info I could ever need without paying a cent.

Anyway, take that however you will, and good brewing. :mug:

I agree with PVH. This forum is one of the most civilized forums on the internet. I cannot believe just how patient and helpful some of the regular posters are about answering the same questions over and over.

I am a noob and I do spend a lot of time searching for the answers to questions I have and it seems that the same regulars are always the ones answering them. They are so helpful I cannot believe it. I have learned a ton in just the short time I have been here and I know that I have a ton more to learn.

Thanks to the regulars of HBT..

I agree that everyone is very helpful! I am also very thankful to have found such a website. I have just started brewing and the few questions/problems I have had the responses have been great. Im sure the second fermentation question is asked alot but do I have to be scolded? The few post I had read both stated different views on secondary so I just thought I would post the question to see what people thought.
Sorry if it upset or frustated people.

One thing you'll learn about this group is they're they're pretty quick to give the benefit of the doubt, accept a new member and then harass them mercilessly. If they didn't like you, they'd ignore you. Just shovel it back at 'em and you'll do fine. :D

And use the search. ;)

I agree that everyone is very helpful! I am also very thankful to have found such a website. I have just started brewing and the few questions/problems I have had the responses have been great. Im sure the second fermentation question is asked alot but do I have to be scolded? The few post I had read both stated different views on secondary so I just thought I would post the question to see what people thought.

Bottom line: See what works best for you. Do a batch using a secondary. Do a batch leaving it in the primary. Most things in brewing you learn by doing (hmmm, I think I need to copyright that). :mug:

I may be stupid but i just racked to a glass secondary this morning after it sat in the primary for 33 days..Now i can watch it clear up.

Is it needed... No
Is it good to do... Yes

It clears up your beers and from my experience gives a crisper taste.
Now stop bitchen, drink a homebrew and use the search feature.

I may be stupid but i just racked to a glass secondary this morning after it sat in the primary for 33 days..Now i can watch it clear up.

Not at all stupid.

You'll get good beer, too!

That's the great thing about this topic. There's really not a right or wrong way. It's more about preference. What works for one person might not work for someone else, or they might prefer to do things differently based on their need to just "be doing something". Sometimes, it's hard to just let a beer sit. lol

Beer will clear in the primary if you give it time, too. The key, when leaving it in the primary, is in how carefully you siphon, and whether or not you let it fully settle if/when you move it beforehand.

Not at all stupid.

You'll get good beer, too!

That's the great thing about this topic. There's really not a right or wrong way. It's more about preference. What works for one person might not work for someone else, or they might prefer to do things differently based on their need to just "be doing something". Sometimes, it's hard to just let a beer sit. lol

Beer will clear in the primary if you give it time, too. The key, when leaving it in the primary, is in how carefully you siphon, and whether or not you let it fully settle if/when you move it beforehand.

:mug:

Well, I have a question about using a secondary. I'm making a barleywine, around 1.110 or so. I have had it in the primary for a little over 2 months, and I'm wondering if I should be transferring it to a secondary or whether it would be cool in the primary for another few months. I saw a thread where someone warned about how a primary is more likely to oxidize the beer, but I'm not sure if that's true.

Should I transfer to secondary for another 2-4 months? Or could I just leave it in the primary for a few more months and then bottle?

johnnyt471, you could rack to a secondary for aging (a good reason to rack)... I would go with either a glass carboy, or a corny keg... If you go with the corny, you could also put CO2 over the brew, to make sure you don't get oxidation. Not sure how much CO2 you would use, but probably just enough to make sure the O-rings seal (be sure to purge any O2 from the corny when adding CO2)...

If you've read the posts, then why do we need to answer again? This is the most discussed topic on here, it has been for 5 years. Why do we need to repeat the discussion again for you?

This is the most thorough and ongoing thread about it...All your questions are taken care of here-The hows, they why's, the whens, and what the nay sayers STILL say after all these years that we have countered or just ignored...the who schmere, the whole shebang all in one handy dandy thread......;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/

At this point either read what's already here or do it and figure it out for yourself. But do you really want to further beat this horse to death?

I mean it's been beaten, resurected, beaten, zombified and beaten again, I think you can find enough info on here already....even as current as a couple hours ago in the above thread.

I think next time you post you should tell us what you really think! :mug:

Honestly, I know his feeling as I'm pretty new here, too. There's an awful lot of information to go through and it can be pretty overwhelming if you don't really know what to look for. I'm really glad everyone is so patient with those of us new to the hobby. This place is a fantastic resource and I'm happy I've found it.

Now, to bring up something you posted. How AWESOME was the walking dead?? LOVED IT

You don't upset anybody!

I think it's silly to expect ANYBODY to read every post on this forum (including me) and I feel very strongly that if someone doesn't want to answer a question they can just move along instead of inflicting a "scolding". I'm embarrassed about the response you received and I apologize for it.

I'm very sorry that happened to you, and I promise you that we're actually a very friendly bunch overall!

BECAUSE- it's a FORUM. It's interactive. People ask questions, and others answer. If they want to, that is- and they don't have to be dicks about it. You may have answered the question 30000 times. But this person asked it ONCE.

Either don't answer, or answer politely without a rant. It's not to much to ask, is it? Thank you.

When it comes down to it there are approximately eleventeen gagillion ways to brew beer. Most of them work. At least half of them are the best way. (yes, you read that right)

Homebrewing is all about experimenting with different methods and see what you like, what works best for you and what you're comfy with. It doesn't matter if it's the thing everyone else does. If you try something once or twice, don't like it, then don't do it! It's your beer and **** anyone that tries to tell you different. :mug:

BECAUSE- it's a FORUM. It's interactive. People ask questions, and others answer. If they want to, that is- and they don't have to be dicks about it. You may have answered the question 30000 times. But this person asked it ONCE.

Either don't answer, or answer politely without a rant. It's not to much to ask, is it? Thank you.

Ditto.

Welcome to our pub. Pay no attention to the grumpy old guys at the end of the bar.

I've read that thread and a few others. If you read it you'll know why Revvy is a bit touchy about this. He is a proponent of the single fermentation, has great luck with it and has gone round and round and round and round with people that say it's bad. Just think of this as his button. I'm sure you'll find that Revvy will be a great source of knowledge and won't be as touchy about other topics ;)

SECONDARY FERMENTATION IS COMPLETELY NECESSARY!!!! wanna fight me revvy?

in all seriousness it depends what you want to do. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. However both will make beer. So do what ever makes you most comfortable

I bought a 6 gallon better bottle to use as a secondary for my second brew ... it's in there as I type ... don't know yet if it was needed or not, but the beauty of homebrewing is, I had the extra money in the budget because I was able to start drinking my first brew ... no money spent at the beer store in over a week now ... yessssss!!!!!!

I had the extra money in the budget because I was able to start drinking my first brew ... no money spent at the beer store in over a week now ... yessssss!!!!!!

Oh, you poor man! You're getting sucked into our obsession.......:rockin:

I also save money by brewing my own beer. And I have about $3000 worth of equipment to prove it! :D

At first I thought I would move all of my brews to secondaries.

I moved my first beer to a secondary this past weekend and it became apparent that it is a good amount of work to do so. Plus, there's a risk of exposing the beer to contamination/oxidation and I personally feel these risks aren't worth it for the type of brewing I'm doing.

After doing more research and hearing about the experiences of others, I've decided that I will only secondary brews that need to be conditioned for a long time (more than a month) or things like IPAs that require dry-hopping. I no longer feel that ALL of my brews need to be moved to a secondary fermentor.

I'm now in favor of not disturbing those brews that can be left in the primary fermentor unless I absolutely need to for the above mentioned reasons.

Oh, you poor man! You're getting sucked into our obsession.......:rockin:

I also save money by brewing my own beer. And I have about $3000 worth of equipment to prove it! :D

my swmbo allows me 50 bucks every 2 weeks for beer ... now that I am starting to brew I honesly think I can use most that money on equipment .. there are some beers I still will have to have from time to time tho ... unless I get really good at this and am able to make some spot on clones ... I cant imagine not having a southampton double white in the summer though .. that one is to die for IMO ..

I'm racking my first batch to a secondary on Sunday (2 weeks old). Mostly because I want to free up my carboy to brew another batch :) I plan on kegging the beer instead of bottling it but I can't afford the keg kit this week. :( So instead I'm going with a 5gl carboy, autosiphon, and airlock. That should free up the primary for another batch and allow for the time needed to dry hop in the secondary, clear out, and get my tax refund. Eventually I will probably dry hop in the keg. I'm kind of an impatient person but I hate crappy beer even more. So this extra step is good for me.

On the topic of going off on noobs, I get it. I have been a part of a work forum for the better part of 5 years and I hate it when people don't use search for common questions. However, I think the Beginner Beer Brewer Forums should be 'sorta' off limits. I mean most of us have never used a forum before and do not know the rules. Also, the search option is kind of camouflaged up there, I missed it until after my first post ;)

On the topic of going off on noobs, I get it. I have been a part of a work forum for the better part of 5 years and I hate it when people don't use search for common questions. However, I think the Beginner Beer Brewer Forums should be 'sorta' off limits. I mean most of us have never used a forum before and do not know the rules. Also, the search option is kind of camouflaged up there, I missed it until after my first post ;)

I agree, and I think most others do, too. After all, this is the "beginners forum" not the "rocket science forum".

I'm afraid to peak into the other forums yet. And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. Someday I'll get there, let's see how this first brew comes out :)

edit: BTW I took my second gravity reading from the primary and I'm ready to tip the carboy upside down and chug it. So freekin awesome!!!!

Back