40oz for bottling, or anything larger then 22 ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinJack

Reaction score
I have about 5 gallons of blueberry/apple cider which has bottom out at about .95 and it smell like rocket fule and is so tart it makes your lips pucket just sipping at it, i want to doctor it in sevral differnt ways and leave it bottled for sevral months, i also dont want to tie up alot of bottles... I did the math and 16 40oz bottles would bottle the whole batch and i could modify each 40oz seprately. Now short of buying 16 bottls of cheap as 2$ malt liquor and dumping it down the drain (because i would rather drink goat piss).... but that is spending 32$ on bottles when i could easily buy two boxes of 22oz for 16$ or 2 of 12oz for 10$.... but it would take far more time and i would have to doctor the bottles seprately... etc etc... so does anybody know where i could buy a box of 40oz's or maybe some pressure proof growlers 1/2 or 1 gallon???

Cheers

You could buy two of these:

Welcome to MR.BEER® - MR.BEER® Deluxe Bottling System

47-LRG.jpg

Or go ghetto 10 2-liters of soda. Green Mountain Dew would get you looking like euro-trash!!! :D

You could by two cases of New Belgium Fat Tire. Invite buddies over to drink them or hit up the local bar who sell them. You get the empties for pennies, deposit only...

Safer to get seltzer water. The caps can carry soda-roma.

Problem solved. Buy some bottle caps and some cheap store brand 2 liter club soda.

Done and done for about 10 bucks.

Thankx guys those might be how i go. im gonna sleep on it and implment it tommrrow and probably bottle on tuesday while i still got time off... besides its done and taking up my fermenter, no airlock activity what so ever and i got things i want to get doing.

Cheers

Tecate Dos Equis and some other Mexican beers are bottled in 1 quart pop tops.

The other one that comes to mind is Carta Blanca or something like that.

And champagne bottles, while we're at it.

Well im still on the fence... yeah i got 6 champagne bottles which i could use to bottle maybe less then two gallons... i went looking for some magnum champagne bottles, to expensive... I think the one gallon growlers or the one gallon carboys... At the local health food store they sell some awsome orgainic preservative free apple juice which comes in one gallon glass jugs. They are vaccum sealed to prevent fermentation, so im pretty sure they will hold pressure, Only problem is they are 12$ a gallon... I was gonna use this stuff for my apfelwine on the 24th so ill have the 5 jugs with lids left over... this seems best plan... thanks for all your responces, take it easy

Cheers

I really don't think gallon jugs are good for carbing beer. I think the caps would leak.

If they did hold the pressure I think they would probably break.

I think some growlers might be made different too. Like this one. Its got thicker glass.

growler-romantic.jpg

You have to ask yourself why they don't list them on this web page.

NORTHERN BREWER: Bottling

Its just my opinion. My friends have jug growlers but they don't hold pressure. I drank a pumpkin ale over xmas that went flat in a few days. It held to a low pressure, just not much.

I got this growler for xmas. The NB folks say its pressure rated.

You might try getting free champagne bottles from a banquet hall.

You'd need to buy a bench capper with the larger bell though. It would not be a bad investment.

You might try getting free champagne bottles from a banquet hall.

You'd need to buy a bench capper with the larger bell though. It would not be a bad investment.

Actully i found a rubber mallet and some bailing wire works fine for corking champage bottles... im cheap:mug:.... im not sure, but i am buying the juice anyway so i might try it with the glass jugs... I am thinking of not carbing it, and its not really beer so carbing isnt nessesary... i would like to, but a growler like that is night but getting enough so that i could bottle the whole 5 gallon batch would cost me more then i have so i need an alternative.

Cheers

I plan on bottling all my Home Brew in 40oz Clear Creek Ice bottles. i just got rid of about 20 at the depot.

If it smells like rocket fuel and is wicked tart why not let it age a bit more before bottling. If you want to try different things with smaller portions than get those gallon glass jugs and rack into them. Only, don't try and cap them, just get some no. 6.5 stoppers and airlocks. Let them age that way before you are ready to bottle.

If it smells like rocket fuel and is wicked tart why not let it age a bit more before bottling. If you want to try different things with smaller portions than get those gallon glass jugs and rack into them. Only, don't try and cap them, just get some no. 6.5 stoppers and airlocks. Let them age that way before you are ready to bottle.

This also occured to me as well... we shall see

I've used champagne bottles before and I just got a couple of bottles of sparkling cider at the grocery store for New Years for the kids that had standard sized bottle caps. These are 25.4 ounce (750 ml) bottles that cost a little over $3 a piece and the sparkling cider is kind of tasty. The brand was Martinelli's. It looks like they have a champagne cork but when you get the foil and the plastic cap off you are left with a standard bottle cap to pry off. You can use a standard capper for these.

I've used champagne bottles before and I just got a couple of bottles of sparkling cider at the grocery store for New Years for the kids that had standard sized bottle caps. These are 25.6 ounce bottles that cost about $3 a piece and the sparkling cider is kind of tasty. The brand was Martinelli's. It looks like they have a champagne cork but when you get the foil and the plastic cap off you are left with a standard bottle cap to pry off. You can use a standard capper for these.

that seems a good idea, ill have a look

I've used champagne bottles before and I just got a couple of bottles of sparkling cider at the grocery store for New Years for the kids that had standard sized bottle caps. These are 25.4 ounce (750 ml) bottles that cost a little over $3 a piece and the sparkling cider is kind of tasty. The brand was Martinelli's. It looks like they have a champagne cork but when you get the foil and the plastic cap off you are left with a standard bottle cap to pry off. You can use a standard capper for these.

+2 That's a good idea too. :rockin:

Back