Help needed quickly!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
I picked up a few of the small packets of c-brite to use a no rinse sanitizer for my glass secondary and lines for racking so that I could put the amber (that is now boiling) onto the cake in the primary. Well, I just made solution in my carboy and man it smells bleach. Is this stuff safe for contact with beer? Please help quickly!!

Good to know now that my secondary holds 5 gallons of the stuff. Sent someone to the store for a "no rinse sanitizer". It says no rinse, but my nose knows better. Star-san is in my future, but now I have a batch to worry about. I'll rinse the crap out of it with my bottle jet and tap water. Cross your fingers for me.

keep in mind that just because tap water isn't sterilzed by boiling, its not a guaranteed way to infect beer. it does increase the risk, but the odds are still in your favor, especially if you pitch a good quantity of healthy yeast at the optimal pitching temp.

this helps it get a foothold and out compete any wild spores.

The primary wasn't my concern, as I'm pitching onto a cake. The beer transferred off through tubes cleaned with the bleach solution into a carboy with the same stuff is . I rinsed it all with water so hot it burned my hands, but it was still from my well. I'm sure I've done worse stuff before I knew better, and it was too late because once I realized the c-brite contained bleach I'd already started a boil with no yeast in my house, and nothing to sanitize the lines. I settled down after I rinsed everything in really hot water and got the primary transferred. If nothing else, I got to taste a hydrometer sample. I really hope that it doesn't get ruined, because it fermented completely before going to secondary, and the green apple taste, which i know will go away, was accomonpanied by a slight sweetness, alcohol, and the bitterness I love in an APA. I'm feeling better already

Back