Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
So I tried my first Imperial Stout last night, and I am wondering if this would be an example of a "big beer". It felt really heavy and malty, but was extremely delicious! Wondering what others think about them?

Jason

Definitely a 'big beer', I love the style. Brewed a few, and my advice if you brew one/many is to keep some around for the long haul. They keep improving with age.

Which one was it? Old Rasputin is my favorite. There is such a depth of flavor to them. Chocolate, Coffee, Figs, Raisins, Toast, Burnt Caramel...

I should have one of mine right now...

I like RIS once in a while, but I find most too sweet for my taste. I had high expectations for Ale Smith's Speedway Stout, but it fell short, it was just too sweet for me.

Jayfro21 said:
So I tried my first Imperial Stout last night, and I am wondering if this would be an example of a "big beer". It felt really heavy and malty, but was extremely delicious! Wondering what others think about them?

Jason
RIS is an example of a big beer. Most are 8% ABV or better. However they are very different from some other big beers like Barleywines, Belgian Strong Ales and IIPAs.

Craig

Iordz said:
I like RIS once in a while, but I find most too sweet for my taste. I had high expectations for Ale Smith's Speedway Stout, but it fell short, it was just too sweet for me.
I really like RIS. Many are very sweet but some can be dryer with a strong roast and/or hops bitterness. I have one I'm starting to drink now and I'm planning on brewing the 08.08.08 RIS sometime in the next month.
Craig

It is right among my top styles. I find it to be nearly everything I want a beer to be. Even to the point that if I drink enough of them they will hold up half of a conversation, which is nice when you drink alone as much as I do.

They are definately on the big side. I had Bell's RIS over Thanksgiving. It was very nice but neded more age. It also had a lot of slundge in the bottom of the bottles. Maybe pushed a little in production?

Back