Suggestions for first AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1234Alchemy

Reaction score
Alright, I've got 2 extract brews with steeping grains under my belt, and I'm ready for my first all grain! I've made a mash tun out of a 10 gallon cooler via Fly_Guy's technique; I've got a wort chiller and a big old turkey fryer. I think I'm set to go!

Any suggestions on a good, simple AG recipe that I won't screw up on my first try? The simpler the better, but of course, I'm looking for a good beer. Something lighter and refreshing for the warm days of summer. Any ideas? I'm open to most beers. Thanks much!

Llarian said:
Good season for Hefeweisen.

-D
I would avoid anything with wheat in it for your first batch. A simple medium gravity beer will be best for your first AG.
EdWort's recipe looks like a great one for your first AG.
Good luck and let us know how it went. :mug:

I would recommend using a similar hop profile and style that you have used with your PM so that you have a means of comparison between the two methods.
If you wanted something different, try to keep your grain bill fairly simple. If you make something great, you will have no idea of what it was if you have 8 different grains.

Either way, you'll be surprised @ how good it will be.

Cheers.

Axegod said:
If you wanted something different, try to keep your grain bill fairly simple. If you make something great, you will have no idea of what it was if you have 8 different grains.

Cheers.

I totally agree. I spent a long while making beers without a good understanding of how different malts work because I was using too many different things.

Somthing very simple would be a really great intro.

Ed's is a good bet. Vienna malt is yummy.

First all grain a success! It was a lot easier than I thought... Ran into one problem with my immersion chiller, but a hose clamp will fix that leak.

Quick question about EdWort's Haus Pale Ale: the recipe says you should have an OG of about 1.051. I came up a little short, at about 1.046 or so. I assume this won't be a huge issue, but where could I have made mistakes? I'd like to refine my brewing process to be more on the mark. Overall though, I think my first all grain went really well!

Alchemy said:
First all grain a success! It was a lot easier than I thought... Ran into one problem with my immersion chiller, but a hose clamp will fix that leak.

Quick question about EdWort's Haus Pale Ale: the recipe says you should have an OG of about 1.051. I came up a little short, at about 1.046 or so. I assume this won't be a huge issue, but where could I have made mistakes? I'd like to refine my brewing process to be more on the mark. Overall though, I think my first all grain went really well!

Most likely this is due to the overall efficiency of your system. In other words, how well your mash tun worked to extract fermentables and then how well you washed all those sugars into your kettle for boil. I wish I was more knowledgeable about things that could help, but some possible suggestions might be to do a couple batch sparges rather than one, unless you fly sparged. Also, did you hit your post boil volume, or did you have too much wort?

Most people eventually learn the efficiency of their system and can either make tweaks to become more efficient or just add an extra lb or a half of grain to make up the difference.

Good luck and congrats on the all grain!

[QUOTEI would avoid anything with wheat in it for your first batch][/QUOTE]

I have heard this before, What is the reason? Thanks - Dirk

derogg said:
I have heard this before, What is the reason? Thanks - Dirk

People have a lot of problems with stuck spares and the wheat gumming up a system if it is creating more than half of the total grist.

That wheat, gummy stuff. ;)

Back