The biggest bone headed brewing mistake ever!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daffypuck

Reaction score
Well, I recently made the switch to all-grain and decided to brew my 3rd batch this past weekend. My first all-grain batch went well, no hitches. My second I had a bit of a problem with a stuck sparge and ended up with the wrong OG yad yada yada. So, for my 3rd batch started out well. Got to the sparging and noticed just how well it was going. Was suprised. tasted the wort as i was firing up the burner and noticed it just didnt taste right. Started the boil and then looked back at the mash and realized that the grain wasnt CRUShED!!! I was so mad at such a boneheaded mistake. Since I dont have a mill, I did the only thing I could think of. I got a mortar and pestle and a food chopper enlisted my friends help crushing the grain. We did a resparge and brewed. The wort was no where near where it should be on OG. Supposed to of been 1.109 or so. Ended up 1.039! Tasted fine, but no telling what off flavors Im gonna end up with. I wasnt going to be denied. Even if this beer ends up tasting like crap, Im at least gonna give it a chance. Any ideas on what to expect? After initial sparge it took at least 40 minutes to crush all of the grain. I resparged with 170 degree water then boiled for an hour.

lol. uh, i mean, that's horrible. or horribly funny. not sure :)

ya live, ya learn... bet you this will never happen again to you! this weekend i forgot to add the oats to my oatmeal stout's mash - i'm sure i felt as bone-headed as you did. ended up having to do a secondary "side-mash", while the rest of the wort waited for the oats to be converted.

i share your pain :mug:

you never know - you might have a nice light tasty beer on your hands. Only time will tell.

Were you drinking while you brewed? I've made some stupid mistakes before when I drank and brewed - enough so that I don't drink and brew at the same time anymore! :cross:

Oh man, that sucks. Same thing happened to me last week.

Well, no. Actually, I've never done anything that stupid. I was just trying to be nice and failed. You're an idiot.

Back