Draft beer tower DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vovo

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to build their own Draft Beer Tower?

Just started to dream about having a kegerator in my kitchen, I see fridges all the time and pretty sure I can convert a fridge with no problem. I like the idea of having dual faucets. I have read a wealth of info on this site about conversion, but have not seen anyone mention that they made their tower themselves.

I was thinking of making my own tower out of mahogany that I have kicking around from a deck. Are the draft towers usually insulated, Does the first beer you pull off usually warm or do the tubes stay cool enough due to a gaping hole in top of fridge? I also probably could have a friend fabricate on from a sheet of stainless if anybody thinks that will be better.

Thanks in advance for some advice

A tower is really easy to build...!!! It only took me a day or so to get it done and I didnt really spend all that much time each day working on it. I'll add my link below that has write up of how I built the tower and what materials I used. Let me know if you have any other questions.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7656

Good Luck..!!!!

Jester

Jester,

I checked out your link that is a sweet setup did you paint the PVC fence black or did it come like that. Still in the beginnig stages of planning out my kegerator.

I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks

Chris

Vovo said:
Jester,

I checked out your link that is a sweet setup did you paint the PVC fence black or did it come like that. Still in the beginnig stages of planning out my kegerator.

I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks

Chris
I painted it all black... all the pieces were white to start with... good luck... post pictures once you get it done...!!!!

Funny you should bring this up. I just ordered few elbow shanks, shirron forward sealing faucets and a dual reg setup for my new keg bar. I am going to use rustic mexican tiles and countertop above a boxed-in Sanyo conversion fridge, and I just couldn't justify spending the crazy dough on a tube of metal. SO, I'm building the shanks/faucets onto a jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia box (see example below). I'm going to insulate it, affix it to the countertop and have it set at a 45deg angle to the counter-front, having one faucet on each diagonal face of the wood box. Once the parts come and I pick up the Sanyo, I'll be documenting the process. Construction of the bar area is going to take longer than keg fridge production so we'll see how it goes!!!
3919.jpg

about keeping the beer in the lines in the tower cold:
some bars run a chiller line along the beer lines. basically a pump which reciculates cold fluid along the beer lines from the keg fridge to the tap and back. i'm not up on the details but someone else here must be ....
right on
shawn

bars use glycol systems most of the time to chill there beer lines... especially if the lines are ran into a seperate room for serving... but in the case of the tower I built, I filled the tower with attic insulation... I've heard of some people using computer fans to circulate air up from the lower area of the kegerator...

Jester

This was a good idea. I took your list , but added diamond plate and wrapped it around the 4 x 4 post. Ill post pics soon

Jester said:
A tower is really easy to build...!!! It only took me a day or so to get it done and I didnt really spend all that much time each day working on it. I'll add my link below that has write up of how I built the tower and what materials I used. Let me know if you have any other questions.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7656

Good Luck..!!!!

Jester

Awesome what you learn on this forum. :rockin:

Jester...what brand fridge is that?

I believe they are Kenmoore kegerators... both were bought by family members back in the early 90s... still working great... hehehee...

yea took a couple of hours with a rubber mallet and counter top. got a couple of my faucets in yesterday and installed them

draft tower.jpg

Back