Goin to Belgium, where should I go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

html034

Reaction score
Hey, I am planning a trip to belgium next weekend and I am fishing for beer related suggestions about what places I should try to hit and what not. I am going to have a car, and the only plan so far is to go through brussels and over to westvleteren (sp?), but what would you guys with experience recommend? what breweries or bars should we make sure to see and which should be avoided? Any input would be very helpful. Thanks

You should go to hell!

Sorry about that, I'm just extremely jealous :)

I was there over a weekend last May. I visited the Cantillon Brewery in Brussels which was pretty awesome, and the beer they make is unlike anything I've ever drank. I also went to the Delirium Cafe which is the official bar of Delirium Tremens. It's suppose to be "touristy" but it was empty when I went and their selection of beers is insane. I also heard that Orval's brewery is near Brussels, although they don't normally offer tours.

Also, Brussels is a ***** to drive through. Narrow streets, weird traffic patterns, and streets that don't even look like streets are everywhere. Be careful!

You are a lucky man! When I go I biking around the country. I would just google breweries in the areas you are going. I don't know much about the area but they have a ton of brewing and brewing history. I am still jealous!

There are a ton of great places to go in Belgium, it depends how much travel time you'll have, etc etc. If you're going to have a car and a little bit of time, one thing you can do is choose a beer (a trappist ale of course!) that you like once you're in the country, and then look up the Monastery where it is brewed! I was there for a year as an exchange student and I would have liked to go to Chimay but I never got the opportunity, however we did get the chance to visit others.

When in Brussels its a no brainier to hit Delirium, its right down in the tourist area near the grand place. I believe La Mort Subite is right near there too... In Brussels, instead of hitting the expensive bottle shops go a few streets away from the tourist area and go to a grocery store, there is a Super GB and a Delhaize on Rue du Marche aux Poulets that have excellent selection! Plus (this is a little random) if you go into the Super GB (Google maps says its a Carrefour now) and take the parking elevators up, you can get onto the rooftop where you have an excellent view of the city. On clear days you can see all the way out to the Atomium! We called this the GB rooftop, and would drink up there until security kicked us off (which rarely happened) its a local student and exchange student secret!

Well tomorrow we set off, hopefully without problems. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I know we're gonna have a great time. :mug:

Back