Modified Denny Conn porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam78K

Reaction score
Let me know how this sounds guys

11.00 lb Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 64.7 %
2.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 14.7 %
1.50 lb Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 8.8 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.9 %
1.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.9 %
1 oz Galena 60 mind
1.00 oz Willamette 10 mins
2.00 items Vanilla Bean (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs S-05

Ok two things I was thinking of subbing out, was thinking either instead of the 2-row add maris otter or all munich malt?

Also I don't have Brown malt so can I sub a smoky grain for example German Raunch malt, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For the last I just have a mixtures of 4 oz of makers mark with 1oz french oak chips and 2 vannilla beans soaking for 3 weeks or so. Going to thow the whole mix in the secondary for about a week.

Let me know any suggestions guys brewing on sunday, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam-

I am assuming this is a 5 gallon batch? I used one been in my last batch and it turned out great, personally I think 2 may be overdoing it? Your beer though!

Good Luck!

yea 5.5 gallon batch, it called for 2 beans so thats the only reason why I'm doing so. I like the flavor for vannilla anyways and any more input would be awesome guys than kyou.

I'm sipping on my BVIP as I type this. I followed the recipe to a "T." Pretty darn tasty. My neighbor and many others can't get enough of it. I think it's good, but I like Denny's Rye IPA better. This BVIP is so stinkin' smooth that it makes me wonder if it's under attenuated or if it's just this velvety smooth. No bite whatsoever. We have even made floats by adding some vanilla ice cream to this beer. Yumm.

I didn't really answer your question, I just wanted you to know that if you do brew this you will find some friends/family who will think it's the best beer they ever had. We used Jim Beam Black.

Cheers!

yea 5.5 gallon batch, it called for 2 beans so thats the only reason why I'm doing so. I like the flavor for vannilla anyways and any more input would be awesome guys than kyou.

I would try to get the brown malt, as nothing else is like it. It is the darkest toasted malt you can get. Modern brown malt is not smokey, and smoked malt is not toasted so the rauch malt would make a dramatically different beer.

The second darkest toasted malt you can get is Special Roast, so thats probably the best sub for brown.

Back