5gal FB in a 10gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin81

Reaction score
I searched but couldn't find anything.

Right now I am using a 5gal cooler conversion as my mash tun with a 9" SS false bottom and spigot. My friend has gone to keggles and doesn't need his 10gal cooler anymore. I was just wondering if my 9" FB would work in a 10gal, or if I would have to buy the 12" FB.

Depends on how you sparge, fly or batch. Batch sparge should be fine. With fly sparge, you might get channeling through the grain bed and not get optimum extraction from the grain that would be on the edges of the cooler, beyond the edges of the smaller false bottom.

I am fly sparging. I had come to the same conclusion. It would "technically" work, but would not be as efficient due to all the grain sitting on the sides of the of the FB not getting used.

Thanks mmb!

Last year I went from a 5 gallon mash tun to a 10 gallon and used my 9" false bottom without any channeling or loss in efficiency. I fly sparge.

Back