quick question about adding Hops to wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZBrewMan

Reaction score
Hey all,

I thought I made my first two batches without any major mistakes, but now I know I made a fairly significant mistake.... but just how big?

My batches were extract kits from Brewer's Best (American Amber and California Imperial Pale Ale) and I used a full boil (I have a 9g pot). The instructions called for a partial 3g grain steep, and wort brew. I've recently read about full boils creating a greater hop utilization among other factors.

How much would these two mistakes affect my final beer:

1) Full 5g Steeping of crystal malt grains
2) Full 5g Boil of hops when directions call for 3g boil

A little worried about the results.....

(On a side note, I want to thank all the experienced posters who come to this board and answer all of the n00b's questions like mine. You guys are the reason this board rocks! :rockin: )

i fail to see how useing more water to disolve hop flavors is going hurt your utilization
it will increase it a bit, the change will be very slite.. remember hop flavor fades with time, fairly quick really so if you do brew a beer that has too strong a hop character
just wate a few weeks - months and try it again

That's true.... I was just worried I was gonna burn my tongue off with hops. Thanks.

Back