changing receipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostn

Reaction score
I notice that alot of IPA, ect. have a 2 Row Pale malt like around 10-12 lbs. .5 lbs. of crystal, and .5 of cara pils. What will happen if I upped the .5 lbs. to 1 lbs. on each of the last two grains? What will it do to the taste, ect. Thanks.

boostn said:
I notice that alot of IPA, ect. have a 2 Row Pale malt like around 10-12 lbs. .5 lbs. of crystal, and .5 of cara pils. What will happen if I upped the .5 lbs. to 1 lbs. on each of the last two grains? What will it do to the taste, ect. Thanks.
The Chrystal will add malty sweetness and the Cara pils will give the beer more body. Others will want to chime in but I think that may be a tad too much. Maybe 1 pound of crystal and keep the Cara pils at 1/2 pound?
On the other hand it may make a darn good beer.

My general rule is the more complex a beer is the more CaraPils goes in. I do put 1lb. of CaraPils in my stouts! It adds a creaminess and mouthfeel that a big beer should have. Brew on!

:mug:

Back