Which solder and flux?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can't answer with out knowing what material you want to solder. different solder and flux for different metals.

Stainless keg conversion. So stainless/stainless for sure, maybe stainless/brass as well.

Will any "silver solder" do, or is there anything other than brand to look for?

I put this playlist of videos together when I was getting ready to make my keggle. They're full of good info. The last one should answer all your questiona on how to solder a coupling to a keg.

http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US&rdm=4mvi3lliu#/view_playlist?p=40264571DF6C6DD1

There's also a really good thread on how to solder stainless steel

???? - That is some strange list. I see nothing in the titles about soldering anything.

Stainless keg conversion. So stainless/stainless for sure, maybe stainless/brass as well.

Will any "silver solder" do, or is there anything other than brand to look for?
Just be aware that a lot of the Silver solders are really not solder but Silver brazing metal compounds. Brazing is a whole 'nother ball game. I personally do not know of another brand that you can use at "soldering" temperatures.

Here are a few examples of what can be done with the Harris product kit using a common propane torch:

DSC00159.JPG

3/8" Brass flare fitting in place.

DSC00155.JPG

3/8" Copper tubing port in place.

DSC00962-sm2.JPG

1/2" Stainless steel fitting.

DSC00969-sm2.JPG

Inside view of Stainless steel fitting.

I put this playlist of videos together when I was getting ready to make my keggle. They're full of good info. The last one should answer all your questiona on how to solder a coupling to a keg.

http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US&rdm=4mvi3lliu#/view_playlist?p=40264571DF6C6DD1

There's also a really good thread on how to solder stainless steel

You've gotta read the whole thing goof. "Dimpling and soldering..."

Goof you say? Thanks a lot for the disrespect.

Your link takes me here:

And these are images of the 2 pages I see:

page-1.jpg

Page - 1

page-2.jpg

Page - 2

Which video has the soldering? Please tell.

I'm very curious now.

It's gotta be something about the mobile link. I don't know why calling you a goof is such a big deal. I'll try to remember to post the right link later.

+1 Harris Stay-Brite solder and Harris Stay-Clean liquid flux
Make sure it is #8 solder -- this is a bearing-type solder with a higher silver content giving it the holding power you need for torque. The higher silver content also helps with the elasticity and the ability to flow and "stick" in loose fitting joints.

Where are you guys finding the best price on the Harris Stay-bright #8 solder and flux?

Thanks
Mark

eBay, it's not cheap, but a little goes a long way ... I still have lotz on my roll.
Oh and the liquid flux can also be had at your local welding supply -- they will probably not carry the #8 though

I got a little kit with solder and a small bottle of liquid sta-brite from airgas. It was less than 10 bucks and I only got it a few months back. There should be an airgas by you. They're everywhere. Airgas seemed to be the best option. Online either adds on shipping or, at my local hardware store, I would have to buy a bottle bigger than I would ever need.

Back