How to make a stencil for my logo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yunus

Reaction score
Ok, my logo is pretty simple. http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/yunus89115/3.jpg
I'm going with that or something close to it. I want to etch/frost some pint glasses with it, to do so I need a stencil. Anyone know of an easy way to make a stencil for that? It willl just be the circle with the letters, no background clouds or anything. I have a fair amount of resources I can use, laserjet, inkjet, gerber machine sticker paper(I can use the gerber machine but I can't get that font into the machine). I just can't think of a good way to make the stencil short of an exacto knife and a bunch of careful cutting. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

I'm not sure how a Gerber machine works but I think you'll need to extend the letters (or shrink the circle) so that the letters touch the sides wherever possible. Otherwise, you will have floating letters or you will need two stencils. One for the circle and one for the letters and then you will have to make sure they are lined up etc.

If you can't use the Gerber I don't think it would take all that much careful cutting with such a simple label.

aa-stencil.jpg

I'm not sure how a Gerber machine works but I think you'll need to extend the letters (or shrink the circle) so that the letters touch the sides wherever possible. Otherwise, you will have floating letters or you will need two stencils. One for the circle and one for the letters and then you will have to make sure they are lined up etc.

If you can't use the Gerber I don't think it would take all that much careful cutting with such a simple label.

Good point! The gerber machine is basically a machine that is used to make stickers for equipment. When you vehicles with graphics on them, it is likely that a gerber machine did the cutting. But your right when you pull the sticker or in this case the reverse sticker off so you can etch the letters it would need to be separate from the circle.

Only way I can think of doing it is to laser print onto some acetate and cut it out.

Or you could go to a formed shape screen printer and have them printed, possibly with a mask or etch resist instead of ink, but I don't think that would be cheap.

Or the easiest way possible:
EZScreenPrint
I've used this stuff to make t-shirts and it works flawlessly, with no weird chemicals and only a minute in bright sunlight. I tried silk-screening bottle caps, but it was more trouble than it was worth.

Or the easiest way possible:
EZScreenPrint
I've used this stuff to make t-shirts and it works flawlessly, with no weird chemicals and only a minute in bright sunlight. I tried silk-screening bottle caps, but it was more trouble than it was worth.

Hokie, do you know if the stencil material would hold up to glass etching cream? I've been looking for a cheap and easy stencil creation material for etching on my own glasses, and even on beer or wine bottles.

According to the product description for the "HiRes" version of the sheets they say, "PhotoEZ HiRes silk screen stencil sheets are recommended for detailed images, finer lines, halftones, or glass etching." So I'd think normal use of the glass etching cream should work out just fine. You really only need to apply the cream, then you can probably remove the stencil right after and wash it while leaving behind the cream on the glass.
The stencil is definitely not made with any natural fiber, so I think it's probably a little more resilient than normal silk-screening material.

Hokie, do you know if the stencil material would hold up to glass etching cream? I've been looking for a cheap and easy stencil creation material for etching on my own glasses, and even on beer or wine bottles.

It does revvy, I've used it. They have a hi-res and a standard-res sheet, basically the hi-res just has smaller and more holes the cream can get threw. It works pretty well, if it is smaller lines and really intricate it can be a little tougher to get it to come out right.

I've got some pics at home, I will try to remeber to post them.

It does revvy, I've used it. They have a hi-res and a standard-res sheet, basically the hi-res just has smaller and more holes the cream can get threw. It works pretty well, if it is smaller lines and really intricate it can be a little tougher to get it to come out right.

I've got some pics at home, I will try to remeber to post them.

This could be SOOO cool!!!

Thanks, and I'd love to see the pics.

This is awesome and just what I have been looking for. I've got some shirts I've been needing to make... also can make patterns to etch my carboys and my bottles, glasses... whatever!! awesome.

Perfect! I've also been searching for a way to glass etching stencils. This looks like something I could try without breaking the bank!

Thanks for the link! :mug:

-Tripod

Well I am going to order this EZScreenPrint stuff in the next few days. I'll try to make a picture documentary when I etch stuff, I plan to also try some of the paint as I've read some kinds will stick to glass.

So how did this turn out? I'm thinking about trying it but would like to see anybody else's results to see how they turned out...

My local sign shop will run a 10"x10" piece of vinyl through their plotter for $10. Just provide them with a vector image. The 10 includes the transfer tape cover. I do this for dying Disc Golf discs.
Just ask for scrap medium grade vinyl. It doesn't matter what color you get cause it's just getting covered with etching solution and then tossed. Medium Sign grade vinyl would keep you from soaking though.

Wow, just noticed the dinosaur'd thread

Back