Do they need to be frozen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck_in_WI

Reaction score
I just "seal a mealed" all of my hops for this year and came up with 12 packages ranging in size from 1.5 to 2.4, with a "smart idea" this year of double pack --sealing 2 bags of 2.0 oz for IPA recipes.

I have a pile of hops that I may not use all my self (read as Xmas gifts to my homebrewing friends) and not a lot of room in our freezer. Next question is if they are sealed and kept away from light, can they be kept in a refrigerator instead of freezer--what is the harm of being kept at 40 degrees instead of 32??
Or can I keep them in a cool basement in the dark?

Can you read that my wife will not be happy to give up all the freezer space for my beer hops?

TIA,
Chuck

I'd freeze them, but refrigerating is better than nothing. Refrigerators are normally set for about 36 degrees, not 40. Freezers are normally set for -10 to 0 degrees, not 32.

You could split it up. Half in the fridge and half in the freezer. The use what you have in the fridge first.

Does the wife drink? Then she'll just have to live with it.

If not, buy your own damn fridge...now you're on the way to independence...
Oh, BTW, sometimes "independence" comes with alimony...:D

All joking aside...freezing them is better. She wouldn't put meat in the crisper bin for 6 months now would she? ;)

Back