Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a lot of time spent looking ,I finally decided to buy the Danby 7.8 from Home Depot (DCFM246WDD) to upgrade my 5CF Holiday. Unfortunately I couldn't find one in person to see, and I found nothing on Google about anyone using it for a Keezer. This is a very interesting looking freezer. Its specs are here:
http://www.cmicdataservices.com/resourcefiles/danby/spec/dcfm246wdd-s.pdf

If the specs are accurate, this freezer is 2" wider and 2" longer than the comparable frigidare/ge/maytag models. That means it should be possible to fit 2 front-to-back, and from a careful analysis of this picture of the interior:
http://www.ajmadison.com/ajmadison/images/large/proLarge_dcfm246wdd_op_emp.jpg

I think it will hold 6 ball-locks on the floor and 2 on the hump.

I don't have it yet so we'll have to wait and see, but I'm estimating the interior dimensions to be:
floor: 18-5/16" x 28-5/16"
hump: 18x5/16" x 8-1/2"

If those dimensions are right, it should take 6 pin-locks on the floor too.

I'll report back after I actually receive the unit with proper measurements

I think it will hold 6 ball-locks on the floor and 2 on the hump.

I am interested in this myself. Please post pics when you get it so we can see it with the kegs inside.

Are you guys finding, wider, shorter freezers? I went to Lowe's yesterday and could only fit one keg on the floor in a 5 cu. ft. freezer, 2 in a 7.2 cu ft., and 3 in a 9 cu. ft.

After a lot of time spent looking ,I finally decided to buy the Danby 8.7 from Home Depot (DCFM246WDD) to upgrade my 5CF Holiday.

I'm estimating the interior dimensions to be:
floor: 18-5/16" x 28-5/16"
hump: 18x5/16" x 8-1/2"

I got my Danby 8.7CF DCFM246WDD chest freezer today, and it is the perfect 'little' big keezer.
As I estimated, it actually holds 6 ball-locks on the floor and 2 on the hump with no problem (they slide in easy, it isn't a tight fit, but there's not much extra space front-to-back either). You can put 5-gallon cornies on the floor and 3-gallon cornies on the hump, and the lid closes without a shim (but it's close, and I am not sure if it would do so once you hook up the lines)

Actual dimensions:
overall: 17-5/16"deep x 36-9/16"wide x 25" tall
hump: 17-5/16"deep x 7-3/4" wide x 9" high
floor: 17-5/16"deep x 28-13/16"
So I was an inch off on the width, and an inch off on my estimate of the hump-size, so I can't say whether it'll hold 2 pin-locks front-to-back. If someone has a trace of the footprint of one, I could try mapping it out to see if they'll fit.

IMG080.jpg

IMG081.jpg

I have a 24cf comming should be here next week. It will be interesting to see how many will fit. I have 16 cornies hope they all fit. Will be nice to have an assortment on hand. Trying to find a cheepe controller have an JC 419 on my ferm. Who has the best price on a Love and which one to use?

Recognizing this thread is mostly about new freezers, this is definitely a "fwiw" contribution, but for Craig's List mavens, if a GE FH10DX shows up in good shape it will comfortably fit 6 standard ball lock kegs without a collar and have hump space left over for a CO2 tank and a drip tray catch bottle.
ab_jun_24_2011_36_sm.jpg

It's a warm wall unit. Inside dimensions are 37 1/8 x 16 5/8 x 29 deep...

Cheers!

Best pic I have on hand.
ab_jun_24_2011_03.jpg

The valves include checks so it is a sweet little manifold. It's mounted to a sleeper glued into the lid.

Got it - along with an all stainless t-tower sporting six Perlick 525SS faucets - from kegkits.com :eek:
ab_jul_08_2011_06_sm.jpg

Only a few weeks of drama behind that story, but it had a happy ending ;)

Cheers!

I got my Danby 7.8CF DCFM246WDD chest freezer today, and it is the perfect 'little' big keezer.
As I estimated, it actually holds 6 ball-locks on the floor and 2 on the hump with no problem (they slide in easy, it isn't a tight fit, but there's not much extra space front-to-back either). You can put 5-gallon cornies on the floor and 3-gallon cornies on the hump, and the lid closes without a shim (but it's close, and I am not sure if it would do so once you hook up the lines)

Actual dimensions:
So I was an inch off on the width, and an inch off on my estimate of the hump-size, so I can't say whether it'll hold 2 pin-locks front-to-back. If someone has a trace of the footprint of one, I could try mapping it out to see if they'll fit.

Awesome! Just one question though, since I instantly had to look for this one at Home Depot, is this an 8.7cf model and not a 7.8cf? Just checking because that's what came up on the HD website.

GE 14.8 cu. ft at Home Depot for $449
ChestFreezer-GE-14.8.jpg

This is it so far, but I will add more as I get around to some appliance stores in the next couple of weeks. I'm leaving this thread closed and making it a sticky for reference information as it grows to be a pictorial database for chest freezers.

I looooove this model!

Does anyone know if 2 more will fit on the hump and if so with what size collar?

The thought of 10 on tap is amaizing!

Awesome! Just one question though, since I instantly had to look for this one at Home Depot, is this an 8.7cf model and not a 7.8cf? Just checking because that's what came up on the HD website.

Yep, sorry, I typo'd it (twice). I edited my post with the correct info.

I just realized I never went back and posted info about my keezer.. If anyone is interested.

Here is couple pics, that's a fermentation chamber on right, i'll get to that.
Main keezer is a craigslist score, got it for $50. it was a bit rusty, so I painted inside and out and it looks good. i put a collar on for taps, but didn't make it tall enough to put a keg on the hump.. I don't feel I'd ever need a 7th keg.

IMG_0696.jpg

and the inside

IMG_0691%20-%20Copy.jpg

the hump is a quarter circle in the corner there, so i can fit that 6th one in. I have them all on a SS wire shelf to keep them off the ground, helps with circulation.

Here is fermentation chamber, a little 5 cu.ft. model.

IMG_0365.jpg

metaltim,
Can you fit two 6.5 carboys or buckets in your 5cu fermentation chamber without the collar? I'm thinking the was from using it in the past as a keezer?

Thanks for coming back and posting pics.

No it was always going to be a fermentation chamber. I can't remember precisely but it didn't fit two of anything without the collar. With the collar I can fit any combination of 5 gal BB and 6 gal bucket. The bucket is sitting on a piece of wood to rise it about flush with the shelf, about 6". You can't put it on floor it's too tight. Without the collar and airlock won't fit.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. VERY much appreciated. I'm having a heck of a time getting the chest freezer I want (NEW - 9cf dinged unit for $125), so I was hoping I could get around waiting on the guy that is going to sell that to me.

Just got a holiday 5 from Lowes. This is the new model, which has the hump on the right side, from back to front. I checked at Home Depot and I'm almost positive this is the identical model to the GE 5. I thought these pictures would be helpful. No collar yet, as you can see, but clearly four ball locks fit in there without the tank. Also just under 8 inches off the hump for the two on the right. Will need a bigger collar than a 1x8, I think.

I was just scoping these out at Lowes/Home Depot tonight and was disappointed to learn they had changed the design. Did you ever build a collar on this fridge and how did it turn out? I was all ready to pull the trigger based on builds I had seen using the old style Holiday 5 but now trying to do my homework again.

I was just scoping these out at Lowes/Home Depot tonight and was disappointed to learn they had changed the design. Did you ever build a collar on this fridge and how did it turn out? I was all ready to pull the trigger based on builds I had seen using the old style Holiday 5 but now trying to do my homework again.

You will need some 1x10 if you want to have more than 2 ball locks in there. With insulation and the disconnects, 1x10 is just enough.

I am able to fit 4 ball locks and a 2.5# tank. 5# will not fit inside. It is really tight, but it fits. I should post a pic or 2...
One advice: get short shanks.

I got my Danby 8.7CF DCFM246WDD chest freezer today, and it is the perfect 'little' big keezer.

Actual dimensions:

AxesOfEvil I also am thinking about the Dany 8.7. Have you had any time to work out if the kegs will fit with standard plastic ball lock disconnects? Thanks!

It is close, but not quite. You'll need about a 1/2" shim around the lid.

I just measured my ball lock corny keg and not to shockingly its 25 inches (63.5 cm) tall just like this keg size comparison chart. With a threaded gas ball lock disconnect its 25 1/2 (64.77) inches tall. With the disconnect, barb swivel nut and hose the keg is 26 inches tall (66.04 cm).

According to the Danby website the 8.7 cu. ft. freezer sold by Home Depot (DCFM246WDD) has an internal height of the freezer is 88cm, same for the Danby 10.2 cu. ft. So if that is to be believed then there should be an extra 8 1/2 inches of space at the top but of course which is clearly not true since the listed height for the full unit is only 33 inches tall. So basically your measurement of 25 inches seems correct but conflicts with the idea that only a 1/2 shim is needed. If the internal high was 25 inches you would need an additional inch of space with connectors and hose. Is your 25" measurement of the internal hight exact?

Does anyone know of a sub $300 freezer that can hold 5 kegs without a collar? Its clearly not a Danby

Does anyone know of a sub $300 freezer that can hold 5 kegs without a collar? Its clearly not a Danby

I agree. This is such a great thread, but it is extremely hard to navigate, as half these models are old and discontinued and there is now limited information on new freezers.

I would like one that can hold 4 ball locks without a collar.

I agree. This is such a great thread, but it is extremely hard to navigate, as half these models are old and discontinued and there is now limited information on new freezers.

I would like one that can hold 4 ball locks without a collar.

Agreed. I am also looking for a freezer that I want to build a Coffin Keezer with, so no collar. 4 Corny kegs would need to fit in and not on the hump.

At the beginning of this thread looked like 7.2 Magic Chef was the choice because of layout. Any freezers out there still available that can fit 4 Cornys without using a hammer?

Yeah noticed the Sunbeam a little while ago as well; However it looks like it's been discontinued as well.

http://www.menards.com/main/kitchen-appliance-accessories/freezers/sunbeam-7-2-cu-ft-chest-freezer/p-180836-c-5600.htm

The Danby looks good but a little more than I was wanting to spend.

I have the Holiday 7.0 from Lowe's. It fits four on the floor, but very tight.

Looks perfect, but where are you going to fit your faucets? I was hoping to avoid going through the top (which isn't an issue, but I was hoping to keep it through the front, I like the look of that better)

Looks like I might have to go down to 3 taps :(

So 3 kegs and a 20lb CO2 would fit fine then?

Checked out the GE and Holiday 5 and 7 CF. You can fit 4 kegs on the floor or 3 kegs and a 20lb CO2 bottle on the bottom of both brands 7 CF or 1 keg and 1 20lb CO2 bottle in the 5 CF.

Looks perfect, but where are you going to fit your faucets? I was hoping to avoid going through the top (which isn't an issue, but I was hoping to keep it through the front, I like the look of that better)

Looks like I might have to go down to 3 taps :(

Just using picnic taps until I can put a collar on it.

Building my 25qf and just put 15 korneys in it. They fit fine and a little room to spare. I will post pics when i get them.:rockin:

Do they still make the "old" Holiday 5.0? I was at Lowe's the other day and saw one, but the compressor hump takes up the side instead of a corner, meaning 2 kegs vs. 3.

Do they still make the "old" Holiday 5.0? I was at Lowe's the other day and saw one, but the compressor hump takes up the side instead of a corner, meaning 2 kegs vs. 3.

No. You'd have to find one on CL... I was initially going to get the 'old' Holiday 5.0 and ended up with the 7.0.

Is that first one in the list the same as the one in the link?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=145054

Also could I fit 3 pin lock (slightly more than 9 inches diameter) kegs into that freezer? I'd like to find a small freezer that can fit 3 pin lock, but it sounds like that might be harder to come by.

I guess the best question is, what is the cheapest/smallest freezer that can fit 3 pin lock kegs into?

Well as a follow to my post...

I went to Lowes and Home Depot to look at their chest freezers. Lowes had the 5 cu ft Holiday chest freezer while Home Depot had the GE 5 cu ft chest freezer. These models are identical, the internal dimensions are exactly the same (including the hump). The only difference is that the GE one was 20 bucks more expensive.

Anyways, I believe you should be able to fit 2 pin lock kegs without a collar, if you cram them in, it looks like it would be a pretty tight fit. If you build a collar, it looks like you will be able to fit 3 pin lock kegs (with the two on the floor being crammed in), so 3 ball locks will fit nicely with a collar.

It seems that the best setup if you have pin locks and want to fit 3 in this thing is to build a collar as well as a stand. So you would basically extend the hump across the entirety of the freezer. If you were to do this, you should be able to fit 3 pin locks fairly easily without having to cram them in. However, if you have ball locks you might be able to fit 4 with this method.

Latest posts

Back